Mums fiesta (honestly)

It has a strange (to me) idle problem. IIRC, its a zetec engine.

Once warm the idle 'sticks' at around 2000rpm, but drops to the normal idle speed once the car has stopped. (engine running, 0 Mph)

Extra waffle in case it helps: So, driving along at what ever speed, dip the clutch and the idle only drops to 2k. This happens even if the car is only doing 5mph. Pressing the brake pedal makes no difference. So drive at 40mph and brake with clutch down and it idles at 2k until the car completely stops. Then it happily drops to a normal idle speed.

When the car actually stops the idle goes back down to 900ish rpm. Sit there stopped and rev the engine and it goes back to the normal idle rpm. Get going again, and it idles at 2k, until the car stops.

Any ideas?

Cheers

AC

Reply to
AC

that is normal behaviour

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They all do that sir :-) Our Puma does exactly the same.

Reply to
Mike P

Nedavno Mike P napisa:

Why? Is it just Ford, or do other car makers do this too?

Reply to
Yvan

ford are particularly bad, but all cars do it to some extent, it reduces emissions

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It also helps to prevent stalling

Reply to
steve robinson

And improve gear changing.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

(probably due to the lower co levels that cars have to run at now) It first started appearing (that I noticed) on Maestro, montego and metros with SU carbs, they had a damper that stopped the throttle slamming shut the last bit, so it has been in place for close on thirty years. (oh f@@@ I feel old)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

2000rpm? Really?

I've never seen that in any other car, Ford or other wise. It makes driving it traffic a horrible experience. And surely its wasting fuel doing that? Can you expand on that?

AC

Reply to
AC

It is a very common behaviour for that vehicle. Just do a google for fiesta revving or somesuch. There are some tricks to improve it, but can you be bothered? It is a cheap car and behaves as such, most people just get used to it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Several cars do that , not quite to the extent of the fiesta though

Reply to
steve robinson

Nedavno Chris Whelan napisa:

So if it is a good thing to do why are not all cars like that? I can easily modify my carb to do that :-)I currently use this to add revs when I switch on a/c that I fitted to my car.

Reply to
Yvan

See discussion of this here

helped me reduce this problem on ours

Chris K

Reply to
CJK

Ah, I looked there, but didnt find that. (no fiesta in the title!!!)

Anyway, thats the kind of info I was after. Many thanks.

AC

Reply to
AC

Odd, it didn't do this when it was new. So I find hard to accept it as normal. I'm gonna work through the suggestions on the site that other guy posted.

Cheers for all the replies though. Appreciated.

AC

Reply to
AC

This happened to me and the answer was the power steering pressure switch going open circuit.

See the post from ALW on Fri 9 May 08 at 13:24 on

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Thus spake Mrcheerful ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

How so? If the engine idle speed is 2000 rpm at zero load, surely that means more fuel entering the cylinders than at (say) 800rpm, ergo more exhaust emissions. Or am I missing something here?

Reply to
A.Clews

Yes. Everybody elses complete inability to see that 2000RPM is wrong. It'ds sure make braking interesting once you got down to 2000RPM.

Reply to
Conor

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:15:26 -0000, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Conor:

My first car was a '79 Ford Fiesta. It sure as hell didn't rev to

2,000rpm, and was easy to fix when it broke. Perhaps people don't know how to design cars nowadays?
Reply to
Alex Buell

The Puma does it at about 1400 rpm. I can't tell exactly cos the rev counter is small and doesn't have a decent scale on it. I *think* it only does it when the clutch is down and at very low speed.

Reply to
Mike P