MX5 Exhaust

Ordered the bits to replace the MX5 exhaust from the manifold back this week.

Been out on the drive for a couple of hours - catalyst has been replaced, but I can't replace the rest of the system.

(It's 1 piece from the cat. back, for those unfamiliar with them - and it threads between a suspension bracing bar and the rear axle.)

Does anyone have any idea how to get the old system out without a 4-post lift? - the only solution I could see was to remove the bracing bar, which isn't something I really want to do.

Reply to
SteveH

A while since i did mine, but i got mine off ok, i seem to remember having to sort of 'corkscrew' it out, but i got it out ok.

Reply to
Nige

Just thought that I may be able to get it out if I reverse it up my ramps.

Tried to get some height with a trolley jack, but couldn't get enough height with the front end up on the ramps.

Reply to
SteveH

I have not done an exhaust on one, but......... just wait till you have to replace the starter: I do not think it can feasibly be done without a lift or pit. So I would expect the exhaust is the same sort of problem.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Any option of cutting it? Some VAG cars came with a 1-piece system from the factory that *had* to be cut to get it out.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Well, I could cut it to get it out.

But if you can't get the old one out without cutting... how do you get the new one in without also cutting it?

I do note that the mechanically pretty much identical MkIIs got a

2-piece system, so you don't have the same problem with them.
Reply to
SteveH

Aaah. With the VWs I emntioned new systems are 2 part.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Do you have the new one yet ? A lot of replacements come in 2 pieces where the original was only one.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

I do.

Its 1 piece.

Reply to
SteveH

I'm not all that familiar with the underside of my MX-5, but I know they added more and more bracing as production went on, and that mine, being quite late (and MK2 of course) has lots of additional bits bolting either side of the transmission tunnel together and the rear subframe variously, but most of it just seems to unbolt.

Can't you just unbolt the bracing to fit the exhaust?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I could. But I think I'll need a compressor and rattle gun to get the bolts undone.

The wouldn't budge using my 1/2 inch driver.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, I removed the exhaust from my first MX-5 by throwing it sideways off the road at 70mph. Very effective, took less than a second IIRC.

I would however, not recommend this method of removal.

When the second needed a new exhaust, I ordered one, it came in one piece. I got it up on the ramps, lay under it for 5 mins eyeing it up, then thought "f*ck this", and took it down to the local exhaust place on Sunday morning when it's always quiet, gave him £20 for some beers, and it took him about 15 mins. He got it out with some twisting and turning without cutting it.

Reply to
Mike P

Seems like the best plan.

I was only planning on replacing the whole thing because the flange on the exhaust has been mullered by a previous owner, causing it to leak.

Stuffed a load of exhaust repair paste on it for now - it should last fine - but at least the cat. has been replaced.

Reply to
SteveH