Qustion re: exhaust replacement

The Chilton manual says I need to remove the crossmember / tranny support in or to replace the exhaust pipe between the manifold and cat conv. Is this necessary? I'm planning on replacing everything from the cat back anyway.

tia,

Reply to
Mel P.

It is a very tight fit. I couldn't do it on ours with the vehicle on the ground, that's for sure.

I took mine to a 'so called' Jeep shop and they put it in on a hoist without taking off the crossmember, But the jerks snapped my exhaust manifold while doing it and then lamely said 'they all crack there'... Gee, ours only lasted 14 years before those jerks went at it....

Brain dead bozos.

Mike

Mike Romain

Exhaust jobs are WAY easier if you take the time to get everything out of the way and have the proper tools (a torch).

Otherwise it's just self-torture.

Reply to
yjarray

Does his Cherokee have a bracket up there to support the factory cat, like there is on the CJ? That one was a summabitch to get apart with the crossmember in place.

It isn't clear to me if he wants to or has to remove the exhaust pipe if he's just replacing the system from the cat back, but I've not crawled under my `96 Cherokee in a long time.

Mike Roma> It is a very tight fit. I couldn't do it on ours with the vehicle on

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Cut off saw or a strap style pipe cutter also works.

When all else fails, find a large rock. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Nah.. too hard to swing under the jeep.

Reply to
DougW

No Bill,

To be politically correct, that's an "Impact Activated Adjusting Tool".

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Depends on how long the cold chisel is...

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Around here they are referred to as 'Ford Tools".

Reply to
billy ray

Maybe not necessary but it will make your install go a lot easier. It's not a big deal to remove the crossmember, just make sure you support the tranny/transfer case before you remove it.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo