My car won't start

I have a Rover 214 (1998). It has had a bit of a knock but I'm not sure if this is relevant. We drove a short distance, stopped and turned the engine off. When we came back to it about ten minutes later it wouldn't start. The dashboard lights come on but the starter motor does not come on. When I turned the key there was a clicking coming from the left of the dashboard. It worked ten minutes later and again the next day but now won't work at all. It has an immobiliser but the LED that flashes to indicate that the immobiliser is on no longer lights up at all.

I have tried turning the immobiliser off using the key fob and using the back-up method involving entering the code using the key in the driver's door but neither of these have had any effect.

Do you have any advice about how I could diagnose and fix this problem?

Reply to
Emma

check so see if any of the battery terminals have jarred loose , same goes for any earth leads

read your alarm manual check for any loose cables ,and your operating it correctly

push the fuel reset button if the car has one

you could disconnect the battry overnight then reconnect it if the knock scrambled the alarm this might help to reset it

Reply to
Steve Robinson

"Emma" wrote in news:4579e11a$0$32030 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

What is a "knock" in your terms? :-)

Reply to
Tunku

The message from "Emma" contains these words:

Probably not, but find the fuel injection impact cut-off switch and make sure it's not tripped. The handbook should show you where it is.

Reply to
Guy King

In the footwell area on the drivers side IIRC

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg