My idea, all mine!

I do, sometimes.

Reply to
Roger Hunt

On 16 Mar 2007 02:57:37 -0700, Malc wrote in :

Best I had was once visiting Sydney Towne (from Uni in Canberra) and showing a mate from Tasmania, following on his bike, around some of the sights. I took him down one of the famous night-club streets (bugger, can't recall the name) then, deciding it was time we went home before the rush-hour started, signalled to turn down a street to the right, to commence backtracking. We paused to let a taxi coming the other way also turn left down the street. I followed him closely only to find him hitting the brakes and reversing back, swinging his bonnet into my path. I hit my horn and he panicked, hit the brakes and stalled the engine, and dropped his cigarette into his lap. As we sailed past he was desperately scrabbling between his legs to find the cigarette...

Reply to
Dr Ivan D. Reid

In article , mrcheerful . writes

Same arrangement on the Hyundai Getz. Although I use the ashtray to hold change for the tollbooths on the Mersey Tunnels (aka robbing bastards).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson wrote

I notice though, that solo motorcycles travel free. Hurrah!

Reply to
Roger Hunt

On or around Thu, 15 Mar 2007 21:17:12 GMT, Guy King enlightened us thusly:

ah, seeing as we're crossed to the car-bodgers, I can whinge about Ford.

I've got 2 transits here. They both have, according to the tags on the diff casing, the same axle, same ratio, and everything.

So, I thought, I can swap the diff from the not-in-use one, which is nice and quiet, for the one in the in-use one, which was not only noisy but leaking.

OK, jack both up, pull half-shafts. unbolt diffs, replace diff in transit 1 with that from transit 2. attempt to refit the half-shafts which were originally paired with that diff, i.e. the ones from transit 2. They don't fit, not long enough. eh? Study shows the ones from transit 1 are about 2" longer. OK, fit those half-shafts. Hangon, they won't go in.

more study, and invoke the vernier caliper. Bloody half shafts are about

1mm larger diameter. Arse.

take diff out again, and re-think. OK, if I remove the crown wheel from the diff carrier, I can keep the diff which takes the larger half-shafts and still use the pinion shafts and housing with no leaks (looks like the nose bearing is shagged on transit 1's own diff, as well as the seal). So, diff

2 apart, crown wheel off. Diff 1 apart, attempt to fit CW 2 to diff 1. it won't fit. It's a trivial, silly amount smaller diameter. Arse and arse.

So, it's now got the casing from diff2, with it's pinion shaft and pinion, and diff 1 with its crownwheel. This makes it much noisier than it was before, but hopefully it won't leak any more, and with a bit of luck the CW and the pinion will get to know one another and quieten down a bit.

transit 1 only need to be on the road 'til the summer, all being well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

For a laugh, may I draw sheddi's attention to

I've no idea how much the tolls are nowadays, though.

Noel.

Reply to
Noel Foster

I hfr self-adhesive Velcro[TM] to attach plastic clips to my dashboard to hold driving directions, TAAAW a pen, for those moments when one is wanted.

=Tamar

Reply to
Richard Eney

A few days after the pug eats the radio, you will.

=Tamar

Reply to
Richard Eney

In message , Pete M writes

It was only as I was readying the Octavia to find another owner that I discovered the cigarette lighter, a foot or two away from the front ash-tray.

Presumably the assumption was that passengers in the rear would need more nicotine, or perhaps that the driver should be discouraged from actually smoking. Or maybe that's just where the electrickery went conveniently.

Reply to
Peter Thomas

Which do you think?

Righty-ho, I shall go seek.

Following on from a bit of a mishap yesterday, which rendered Mini-Murg undriveable, I drove the blue Pug home this evening. Being honest and law-abiding I reported the untaxed car to the dibbles[1], explaining that the reason it was untaxed was because I lacked an insurance sustifficate, but would be addressing that promble first thing in the morning. Instead of the "thank you for telling us, make sure you sort it out" that I was expecting, the shirty cow on the desk gave me a full- blown lecture and threatened a parking ticket. Which, if it arrives, will blow away unaccountably in the wind. That's the last time I bother 'fessing up or being honest about such things. Raes. I are thoroughly ippesd off now, and I honestly didn't think things could get much worse.

Shpx it.

Reply to
Sena

Did that. And at the same time spotted what I'd not spotted before, viz. the severed red-cased wire. I reckon it won't jbex at all, connector or no, until that's sorted out.

Reply to
Sena

The message from Sena contains these words:

Out with the smouldering iron.

Reply to
Guy King

It's not that simple. There's a large length of wire missing from the middle.

Reply to
Sena

The message from Sena contains these words:

Any chance of a photo? Some looms are made like that 'cos one of the wires is something optional.

Reply to
Guy King

My old peugeot had extra red wire = power to automatic aerial.

(Thinks - have I still got the Pug-ISO adaptor in the garage?)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Hall

Yes, but not until a more civililsed hour.

Reply to
Sena

This is a red wire, and it looks like it has been cut.

Reply to
Sena

The message from Sena contains these words:

Pink is commonly the aerial - red's often all sorts of things. And like I said, some have all sorts of funny power feeds for different situations. It may be supposed to be like that.

Reply to
Guy King

My crib gives the ISO colours thus:- Red - ignition Yellow - battery Blue - aerial switching Orange - dash lighting Black - ground

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stripy ones - speakers

Reply to