Re: Emissions Fail.... argh!

Well, I'm a more than a tad pissed off with that.

> > 9 month old catalyst has been diagnosed as being at fault when the 156 > went for it's MOT - which I find a little odd. > > Can anyone interpret the results for me? > > (Oil temp. was 93 degrees) > Fast Idle: > RPM 2680 Pass > CO 0.602% Fail (double the limit) > HC 87 Pass > Lambda 1.010 Pass > > 2nd Fast Idle: > RPM 2789 Pass > CO 0.310 Fail (very marginal) > HC 67 Pass > Lambda 0.999 Pass > > Natural Idle: > RPM 780 Pass > CO 0.464 Pass >

You haven't used any of that dodgy Tesco/Morrisons petrol have you? Forgetting that, I've had a think...... The facts, assuming the CAT is OK, are......

  1. High CO means the MOT probe detects a REAL rich mixture being combusted. 2. Close to 1.0 lambda MOT reading means the O2 level is correct in the tailpipe, i.e. AFTER the O2 sensor. 3. The 1.0 reading also says to me that the O2 sensor is very likely working properly and controlling the ECU as well as it can.

Conclusion......

The main one must be that something is causing the O2 sensor to LIE. It gives a good reading with a rich mixture basically, and everything else automatically follows as computers are dumb.

So, the gases before the O2 sensor must result from a rich mixture, as excessive CO only ever comes from rich mixtures, but the O2 sensor doesn't look at CO, it looks for O2 (obviously). so it wouldn't know about high CO. A rich mixture would give a low O2 content in the exhaust but the O2 sensor reads normal somehow and the closed loop feedback system controls mixture to maintain that normality. The only way I can see that happening is if extra O2 is being added to the pre-O2 sensor exhaust gases, but after the actual combustion process. That means there's a leak between these 2 points, i.e. exhaust manifold. Air is being sucked in between exhaust 'bangs' when there's negative pressure caused by the previous pulse of exiting exhaust gases. The air fools the O2 sensor into thinking the engine is running weak so it richens the mixture to compensate.

Of course, the CAT could be duff. I believe they are supposed to reduce CO by 80%.

Reply to
SteveB

Our mechanic has checked for leaks and can only conclude that it's a dodgy cat.

He's not 'on the make' either - 'cos he asked me where I got the current one from and how much we paid - he could get one for £136+VAT, but I got one delivered for £90 incl. VAT and delivery.

He suggested first asking about a warranty claim on the cat., and failing that ordering one myself.

Reply to
SteveH

Looks like a cold cat,give it a blast down the motorway first. Otherwise dead cat. But they normally have a warranty for 2 years.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I did suggest the old 'Italian tune-up', but he rejected that as a plan, 'cos the tester got it nice and hot in the testing bay.

I'm coming down on the side of our mechanic - we trust him, and he's happy (indeed suggested I should) for us to order and / or chase up a warranty claim on the cat. 'cos we can get one cheaper online than his suppliers.

Bloody PITA, 'cos, for the first time in a few years, we're down to just

2 road legal cars - my 75 is due back from it's restoration soon, but not quite soon enough for it to be a backup for the wife's 156.
Reply to
SteveH

I notice the first fast test was at 2680rpm and the 2nd 2789. Would the CO have dropped a bit more to pass if he increased the revs a tad towards the max 3000rpm?

Reply to
redwood

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Mr Flobby ( snipped-for-privacy@cv1.info) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You mean "only run on five"...

Reply to
Adrian

Not necessarily, I'm pretty sure.

Reply to
Catman

Weak spark on one cylinder

Reply to
Mr Flobby

The carb fed no cat Honda 12 valve in my Rover was about 0.18% last MOT. Looking through the history it's been between 0.16 and 0.19 for the last four or five years (history doesn't go back further than that).

Reply to
Stuffed

You are right of course, I had to look it up but it should be less than 3.5% according to specs but I remember getting more like 1.5% with my preferred setting.

Reply to
Bert Kanters