Mystery vibration with Mondeo - can anyone identify it?

Hi guys, A serious mystery vibration has arisen with a Mondeo 2.5 litre V6 I'm currently using and it's got me beat. I'm just wondering if anyone can speculate as to what the problem might be... Firstly, it's not there all the time; it comes and goes. When it comes it seems to show up at around 50mph and just keeps getting worse the faster I go. It happens under both acceleration and also on the overrun, even when coasting to a standstill and is still present right down to practically zero MPH and is in synch with the speed of the road wheels. When it's there it's *really* bad and the whole car shakes quite disturbingly like as if there's a wheel coming off! I've put the car through two MOTs and it's passed no problem; the wheel nuts are tight and when spun by hand on jacks there's no sign of any imbalance in either of the rear wheels (it doesn't seem like there's anything coming through the steering from the front so I assume it's a rear-end problem. The car's not been in any accident; I've had a friend follow me from behind in his car whilst it's been happening and he says there's nothing untoward going on as far as he can see... and yet inside it's pretty bloody scary! I'm baffled as to what on earth could be the problem. Has anyone any ideas?

Reply to
phaedrus

I wonder whether you have a problem with a driveshaft. It's the only thing I can think of that is road speed related. It may come and go if a CV joint has become loose or broken allowing the shaft to run off centre, and by a variable amount. I had this problem once with a rear wheel drive car where the prop shaft had rubber/fabric U/Js. The fabric had rotted a bit and when power was on it gave way slightly causing the propshaft to shift off-centre.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Well...... a little bit open but have you checked the spare wheel, the undertray at the front, the exhaust and the rear valance?

Reply to
DervMan

Have a look on the inside of the wheel rims. I had a similar problem once where I'd got a lump of mud stuck inside the rim and it threw the balance well out so as you'd have a job to hold the wheel.

JB

Reply to
JB

The message from "phaedrus" contains these words:

I had something a lot like this on my Montego and it was the driveshafts.

Reply to
Guy King

there is problems with mondeo v6 drive shafts, fitted one myself.

Reply to
Angus McCoatup

Hi there

Check your wheel balance