Which? tyre, satnav

Which? has tested 155/70 and 205/55 tyres - top in first category is Conti Ecocontact 3, then Hankook Optimo, and in larger size Michelin Primacy, then Pirelli p7.

It also reckons several tyres perform particularly badly in wet braking, including BF Goodrich Touring, Matador Stella in smaller size and tyres from Marangi, Nankang and Falken in the larger size.

For satnav, the top rated is the Snooper Sirius.

E.

Reply to
eastender

Thanks for that.

Reply to
Conor

Seconded.

Reply to
Daytona

Would people agree with this opinion of the EcoContact 3? I use it in a slightly smaller size, but have been quite happy with it so far, and have the chance to grab 4 of them at a very good price. Worth spending a lot more for another brand (think double the price) or stick with it? :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Have you noticed all tyre tests/reviews have different conclusions? :)

Reply to
Lin Chung

:-) I`m just after a few opinions from people who actually use the tyres day in day out, not people who review them for about 5 miles :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I'm not ridiculing the idea, rather I bemoan how unsatisfactory the current state of tyre evaluation is. The more I read about tyres, the more I'm skeptical about any review.

The problem is that there is no *complete* scientific characterisation of the performance of a tyre, and therefore no *repeatability* of assessment. What is expressed is little more than a personal opinion, even from AA, AA of Germany, or our highly regarded Consumer Association's "Which?". (For example, how one feels in cornering is graded subjectively as, say, "1 star out of 3". After a glass of wine or two, the same ride could be rated "2 stars out of 3". We need *objective* measurements in numbers).

Have you noticed the tyre thread pattern is 'bettered' regularly every couple of years in 'new' models (with new prices), which are quickly forgotten but were the 'ultimate' models a few years before? In truth, pattern design is a black art*; there is no mathematical model, it's all 'try it and see'. To compound the confusion from frequent changes, there is also much secrecy. It's hard to find out details about a particular model. (For example: one difficulty is the multitude of names and model numbers, which to me is deliberate, designed to deter all but the most determined. Another example: some models are available in one continent but not in another; worse still, the names in some parts of the world may be the same but are in fact of different models.)

Engine oils while sharing the honour of running billions of pound of business annually curiously also share these dubious characteristics.

  • Wasn't it a few years back, Dunlop came up with a school of dolphins as the thread pattern and the dry road holding was amazingly superior to anything on the market? It was only the marketing section that put a stop to actually putting this on the market.
Reply to
Lin Chung

Damned....tyre 'tread', not tyre "thread". I need a glass of wine or two!

Reply to
Lin Chung

Which? says its tests are the 'most thorough carried out by any UK magazine'.

See

Which? has a good track record with cars - it was a founder of the Euro NCAP crash test organisation.

E.

Reply to
eastender