New CV boot leads to knocking noise

Nissan Micra. I had a split CV boot replaced for MOT 2 weeks ago. Now there is a knocking sound when going up a hill on the motorway. What gives? The CV joint didn't knock before replacement of the boot.

bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

I wonder if the circlip didn't seat properly and it's all getting a bit loose.

Reply to
Conor

for MOT 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for your reply. I would imagine a dodgy CV joint would cause problems when cornering. But this does not seem to be a problem on my car.

bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps

replaced for MOT 2 weeks ago.

I just drove round the car park in circles. No apparent problems. Then drove up a steep hill in high gear -- I would expect this to test out any drive shaft problems, but it got up the hill in the end. The problem seems to occur in 5th at speeds over 60. It starts to knock and seems to lack oomph. Could a blowing exhaust cause this? I noticed a rust hole on the back box. But the knocking comes from the engine side.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce_phipps