New insurance legislation?

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Which doesn't answer the question of how many accidents are caused by defects in trailers which wouldn't have been there if they were tested every couple of years or so.

Reply to
Guy King

Sort of still on topic - do you get a SORN reminder after a year from DVLA?

Reply to
IanDTurner

I had a look at the story and it says "But the new powers will make it illegal to own a car without insuring it or declaring that it is not being used. "

which I would imagine the SORN would cover that.

Reply to
Avanti

Yep. Sounds like a really good idea to me, if they can make it work properly. Should make it a lot more difficult for arsewipes to drive without insurance. Anyone with a car off the road already has to declare SORN anyway, so it's no extra work. Another side-effect I like is being able to tax the car online without having to produce insurance and MOT documents - I can never find those bloody things when I need them.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

and caravans :o)

Reply to
reg

Can't say, I've never SORN'd a car.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

The message from "Avanti" contains these words:

I wish they'd sort out those minibikes. The pavements round here are infested with 'em.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "reg" contains these words:

No need - when my Final Solution for caravans is implemented the verminous things will be a thing of the past.

Reply to
Guy King

Perhaps another thing that they could introduce is for the speed of all vehicles to be individually monitored by satellite, so that any vehicle in a

30 mph speed limit doing more than 32 miles an hour, will immediately cop 3 points and 60 quid fine.

The advantage being that not only could they make a killing in fines, but they could probably eliminate 50 percent of the cars on our overcrowded roads within the first couple of days of the system being up and running!

Reply to
Ivan

Yep - a vehicle used on the road. Must be SORNed not to require insurance AFAIK.

Reply to
Conor

HGV trailers already require testing. Its far beyond time that car trailers and caravans did.

Reply to
Conor

same here, no crash helmets either , do they not realise they still have to obey the same road laws.

Reply to
reg

I think that any shop selling TV receiving equipment has to inform the TVLA when they sell something so that big bro can come knocking on your door.

Reply to
Malc

Cue evil cackling.......

When will the final solution be implemented, oh great Master?

Reply to
Malc

Umm.. I think that's in the pipeline. Hasn't there been talk of fitting all cars with satellite homing devices so that we can be charged for which roads we're on for insurance porpoises.

Reply to
Malc

Yes, in a way. You just get the usual road fund licence reminder and you just declare SORN again.

Reply to
Howard Neil

You get the standard tax reminder. You just have to tick the SORN box again and take it into the Post Office.

Reply to
rp

Don't give them the address then when you buy the system. They have to ask but I saw nothing that said you ave to give it to them....

Reply to
Chris Street

( snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.