Nissan Juke

Sllightly ly OT (well very) but I've just done the 3d video launch for the new JUke.

Duncan Wood

Hmm. A car with 4 wheels and 4 doors - what a surprise...

Reply to
johannes

It's nearly got a boot as well ;-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Duncan Wood" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I'm sure the nightmares will stop soon.

Reply to
Adrian

I know. But I always find new car launches slightly comical. Dry ice and celestial music implying that the car has arrived from somewhere from outer space, when you can see dozens of similar exotic cars every day on the motorway. There is always the paradox that the best car is the one you don't notice; no noise, perfect ride, smooth and automatic controls. Perfection is being invisible...

Reply to
johannes

which is why I like my Lexus.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmm. Depends on if you're noticing things because they're bad, rather than noticing them because they're good.

Reply to
Adrian

unfortunately 'normal' vehicle faults are highlighted after driving something good (where such faults are absent), even when they are quite standard for that model. Such as gear change quality, induction and exhaust noise, steering response, ride quality and quietness, seat comfort, heating systems etc. etc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Hmm. There's several of those that I'd have said "not noticing" was indicative of the (unforgivable, imho) fault of terminal blandness.

Reply to
Adrian

For safety and comfort something bland is a good choice.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Complete and utter balls.

Reply to
Adrian

the more stressed a vehicle makes you feel the less attention you can give to the road.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Well there's a fairly simple guide to how risky something is from the TP insurance costs.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, riiiight. And that bears what resemblance to the discussion in hand?

Reply to
Adrian

in general vehicles which are quiet and bland are less stressful than a vehicle which is noisy and twitchy (for instance) Drive a Ferrari across London or drive a Lexus and see which vehicle leaves you less stressed at the end. I have done both and know which leaves me more attention to keep on the traffic.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Lovely, an' all. I'm still waiting for the relevance?

Unless, of course, you're trying to tell us that you fall into that 90%+ of the car-operating population who can't actually tell the difference between a bland car and an engaging one, so thinks that top-trumps style performance figures must be the definition? I expect it of many around here, but I thought better of you.

Reply to
Adrian

johannes said something like : it is when you don't notice stuff happening that it is actually good, and I agreed, citing lexus as a good example of a car that drives well without drama, which also lets you drive with less stress, and I believe that allows you more attention for the road. BUT having driven something like that, when you get into something ordinary, like a Focus or a scenic you can then notice all the faults that are in-built in cheapo cars.

I do not spend much money on my own cars and usually drive round in a metro, so to accuse me of some sort of snobbishness over cars is really laughable.:

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, yes - but that's not what we're talking about here, is it? We're not talking about the difference between a bland but competent car and a poor car, or a car with mechanical failings - but between a bland but competent car and something that stands out from the crowd for actually being interesting and involving. No, that doesn't mean a Ferrari. Just a very, very good car in a particular class instead of something thoroughly generic.

No, I'm suggesting the exact opposite. Which I think you've just agreed with.

Reply to
Adrian

Hehe, I'm pleased that my suggestion has caused such a long discussion. I can understand both points of view. However, If you commute for 2 to 3 hours every day, day in and day out, then you prefer the car to be unobtrusive. Cars like e.g. Fiat Punto or Vauxhall Corse are NOT it, they're too twitchy to be relaxing. But they might appeal to a younger audience. Unfortunately, that's the target market for many car manufacturers. If you use the car for an occasional spin, then by all means you can have fun with powerslide; noise and smoke.

Reply to
johannes

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It doesn't sound like you do understand my p-o-v at all, y'know.

Reply to
Adrian