Nissan Micra 1.0L g Plate 89 (gearbox prob)

She keeps slipping out of third.

I have not checked gearbox oil level yet. I assume this will be a new ( recon) gearbox but any other advice would be appreciated. I do have a lot of time on my hands so would consider rebuilding .

Any advice would be great

Just one more thhing if i keep a grip on the gearknob it does stop it slipping out ???????????

BTIA Capstick...

Reply to
Capstick

Very enlightening and a nice stopgap Guy...

However it would be nice to learn something about gearboxes...

Reply to
Capstick

The message from "Capstick" contains these words:

Screweye into the dashboard, loop a rubberband through it and hook it over the gearlever when you need to stay in 3rd for longer than you can be bothered to hold it there.

Worked for years on a mate's Alpine.

Reply to
Guy King

Give some wellie in 2nd and go straight into 4th .

Not sure if it will work on a micra though :-))

Reply to
LP

The message from "Capstick" contains these words:

Worth checking that the enginemounts aren't worn 'cos movement may cause the lever to flick out of gear.

When you tap and release the gas pedal does the gear lever wobble a lot? Does it jump out of gear most when you suddenly press or release the gas?

If so then the engine mounts may well be the cause.

Reply to
Guy King

"> I have not checked gearbox oil level yet.

Definitely check the oil level. I had a Montego many moons ago which would leak oil from the end cap, and as it ran low it would start to jump out of gear. Driving down the M1 once it kept flicking out of fifth about every 20 seconds and eventually out of the other gears too. Finally seized whilst crawling along in traffic (not unusual for the M1) and I had to grind my way along the hard-shoulder to the next exit with the car knocking and lurching like a kangaroo! Mind you, 3ltrs of oil later and it was running again - wouldn't have like to have kept it though...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

The Haynes manual has quite detailed instructions for dismantling and overhauling the gearbox.

Reply to
Rob