Noisy renault megane

Hi My renault megane 1.6 litre 2001 regmakes a lot of noise when speeding. louder around 60 MPH. No noise when stationary. left front wheel gets hot after a long drive could this be a wheel problem? please help cheers

KK

Reply to
kiranbathini

Seized brake capiler.

Al.

Reply to
Al

Wheel bearing or brake caliper are the most likely suspects. Does cornering make any difference?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Doubt it's the wheel, it sounds like the caliper, where your brake pads are inserted to contact the brake disc, is overheating. This usually happens because the brakes are partially 'on' all the time due to being seized.

For starters try braking from 70mph to 0 as quickly as possible a couple of times, this will utilise the ABS and perhaps loosen up any crap that's sticking, or at least get the pads in decent condition. If after this you find it's still roasting hot, you basically need to recondition the calipers to ensure the pads can move against the disc and back off as freely as expected. If you're not confident with that, a local garage can likely (rip you off) do these things to free it up.

If you've not changed much then the calipers will be nearing seven years old - it's the kind of job you can give a go yourself, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest it giving I've never done any on a Megane before, so have no experience of any fancy frollicks they've got going on there.

Reply to
Tyr

ABS will only work if you have an ABS car, and even then its debateable. Best to whip it apart and find out why its seizing, if it is. Megane wheel bearings area common failure so that would be my guess (having just done one on Xmas eve).

Reply to
Coyoteboy