Not just insured

No longer enough to ensure your car. To avoid your car being crushed, it must also appear on this website

.i.e. your insurancebroker must have entered your car as insured. But how do you know if yourcar will stay on this database until the insurance runs out? You don't, asit's not possible to check exactly what expiry date your broker has entered. Pot luck?

Reply to
johannes

What makes you think this?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

His foil hat fell off.

Reply to
SteveH

(Pretty sure this post has little to do with maintenance...)

I think he's referring to this:

I'm interested in the legal position of this:

"have their vehicle wheel-clamped, impounded, or destroyed "

when the vehicle is parked on your own private land. Surely that can't be right?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

However none of it mentions the register being the legal requirement, rather than it being insured.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

Oh, indeed!

Without wishing to appear rude, perhaps the OP is not a native English speaker; his failure to grasp the real situation has been demonstrated countless times.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The DVLA Car Tax renewal form received by post. Apparently, DVLA considers the MID database as the hard reference "to identify keepers of vehicles without insurance", hence your car could be crushed if it doesn't appear on MID, hence the

website, although this doesn't give the insurance expirydate.

Reply to
johannes

That's if you want to do it online.

Where does it say that?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Put 2 and 2 together:

1) Form the
website"The police use Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) technology withinformation from the Motor Insurance Database (MID) to identify and catch people driving uninsured

2) The DVLA form: "From early 2011 a new law gives us and the Motor insurers Bureau (MIB) more power to deal with keepers af vehicles without insurance"

"If your vehicle is not insured and you have not made a SORN, you may be fined, or your vehicle may be clamped, seized and may be disposed of."

Reply to
johannes

Which put together doesn't mean that your vehicle can be crushed if your insurer hasn't registered it on the MIB. Apart from anything else they've got a 7 day window to register it in.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sadly, I believe that to be correct, unless one of the exclusions is met.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Been using it now for a few years, and my car has never shown as being uninsured on it, and my insurance company updates it immediately on receipt of payment of renewal - but I have been insured with the same, reputable company for over 30 years (Frizzell [now LV]).

As I matter of interest, it's about bloody time they started to use the SORN procedure on uninsured vehicles - and I hope that the DVLA's computers can properly cope with the record trail and a few uninsured cars get crushed or auctioned.

From one who has been the innocent victim in three accidents over the years that involved uninsured drivers - and suffered the finical repair costs as a result.

Reply to
Woodworm

This is crap! Since when has it been necessary to have access to the internet before you are allowed to drive? If you don't have Internet access you won't know whether you are on the list or not. So bugger AskMid, what must be important is whether or not I am insured, not if I appear on some poxy website.

Reply to
krak

En el artículo , Duncan Wood escribió:

You're assuming he is capable of rational thought.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , krak escribió:

AskMid uses the same database that the ANPR cameras and coppers use, so it's not a bad idea to check your car's status. Could avoid you getting an inconvenient tug.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If you can't get on to the website, your broker can check for you. Or just make sure you have your insurance certificate or cover note with you at all times.

Reply to
John Williamson

If you didn't have a valid tax disc when SORN was introduced and you haven't renewed your tax disc since, nor MOT'd it (or you might have MOT'd it) and don't drive the car on the public highway, then "your vehicle may not be clamped, nor seized nor disposed of"

(Hell it might even have an old V5 too)

But I suppose if Swansea or HM Govt department of motorist persecution realised there were vehicles out there that didn't fit into their strict rules but were beyond their reach they'd throw a wobbler.

I know of quite a few cars that have had MOT's for the past 20 years and have never had a tax disc despite being driven to and from the testing station on every occasion. Of course not one has had the misfortune to run into an ANPR nazi but if they tried to seize one of them for crushing on the basis of them not appearing on the SORN register, nor on the licenced vehicles list there would be a riot. (they are always insured for the journey)

Reply to
The Other Mike

"If I can't get onto the website"? Why should I want to get on their website? Do you not see where this is going? "If you are not on our website you are illegal". Today it is your car insurance. Tomorrow ?

Reply to
krak

The website is one way that users can access the database. You are not

*necessarily* breaking the law because your details are not accessible on the website, as the search may fail for a number of reasons, but not being accessible on the website is a *very* good reason to check that your details are on the database, which *is* a legal requirement.

The words on the homepage of the website are:-"if your policy does not appear on the *Motor Insurance Database (MID)* you can expect to receive a warning letter in the post, followed by a fixed penalty fine." There is no mention of the website except as a way for you to access your details.

(My emphasis)

As one example, It is possible that your correct details are not on the database if you have changed your vehicle within the last few days, and your insurer hasn't entered the new details yet.

In the modern world, it is aways a good idea to check whether data held about you is correct.

Reply to
John Williamson

If your vehicle is stopped by the police for apparently having no insurance, the first thing they do is to phone the inurance company that you are with and ask them. The Police have the discretion to give you a HORT1 7 day wonder ticket to produce your documents and do sometimes still use it.

If you have a vehicle with tax disc but no insurance and it is off the road then the new continuous insurance/tax comes into play. First thing will be a letter inviting you to check out the alleged lack of insurance, if you don't comply then a fixed penalty will come next, followed by prosecution. If the vehicle is on the road with no insurance, but is taxed then it could be clamped and or removed. The registered keeper will get the chance to insure and collect the vehicle (and pay costs) If the registered keeper declines to collect then sale or crushing of the vehicle is possible, along with prosecution.

They do not (are not supposed to) just pick up your car and crush it instantly without going through the proper channels.

About the only way that the ordinary driver could get really caught out is if they are out of the country for a while and tax or insurance problems creep up.

I drove round for several months with nothing showing on the askmid site but never got stopped due to my broker not doing their job. Now it would be different as letters from DVLA would start arriving.

Reply to
Mrcheerful