Wheel Security Nuts

Have just acquired a 2002 corolla T3, and the wheel security nuts that came with the car were in a box and not on the wheels of the car.

They are an older type of security nut with three 'short-depth' holes and an 'unlocking' socket that fits over them. I notice later Corollas have a more secure 'circular' type lock on their security nuts.

They are nice, five spoke Toyota Alloy wheels in good condition. There has been quite a lot of thefts recently in this part of north London. A lot of activity like going into cars and stealing from garden sheds and manhole covers, etc,etc.

If possible I would prefer not to spend out the money on the better circular lock type nuts at the moment.

Am I relatively unlikely to loose Toyota Corolla wheels, since it's often considered a staid motor, Or should I fork out for a set of the more secure circular lock type nuts? Thanks.

Reply to
john james

None of us will actually know, but anyone who can get either type of those nuts off could steal some more expensive wheels just as easily.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I really can't see anyone going to the trouble of stealing OEM alloys from a 9 year old Toyota!

Reply to
SteveH

I had my locking wheel nuts removed by the Ford dealer yesterday.. they had to use a lump hammer and stud remover ! IMHO they are a pointless liability on an older car, especially if you are prone to over tightening wheel nuts :0 I don't think any one steals alloy wheels any more anyway, they'd probably assume that they have locking nuts wouldn't they ? My ones are hidden under a cover as well.

Reply to
mr p