o/t M4

Thames Valley Plod say this email is a Hoax and there are no SPECS cameras on the M4.

sPoNiX

Reply to
S P O N I X

For now maybe but only a matter of time before they do don't you think?I mean its a money spinner and therefor will be a goer at some stage in the future... Apologies to all for the original post,It was posted in good faith as i recieved the mail from a traffic cop friend(not Thames area) guess he was hoaxed aswell........

Steve

Reply to
Steev

A badly worded response I wrote there, I think eh? To expand on my statement a little ...

They DONT say however, that the SPECs camers dont exist on the M4 between the junctions referred to in the emails that have been going around.

-- Andy Jenkins UK Broadband Usergroup :

Andy Jenkins

never a truer word said :)

Reply to
dojj

I don't know the law on this but the police have been 'urged' by the government to state exactly where fixed and mobile speed cameras are located and operating for any given day. For example Thames Valley police website=20

a link to an external site which list speed camera locations perpostal code.=20=20 And Wiltshire Police *cough* 'safety' (fixed and mobile cameras) are officially listed here=20
other Police websites give the same information, and those whom don'twill shortly. You should also be able to phone up for the same information. This is the same reason why fixed speed camera boxes are now bright colours. Speed *traps* are no longer supposed to be covert, the public must be given ample warning of them. The pressure is to make out that these cameras are to improve road safety and not just to generate revenue. Covert speed traps can be argued for not doing anything for road safety.

Now I ask, why would these SPEC's (if the exist on the M4) be any different? Are you saying the Police are flying in the face of Government guidelines by not make the locations public? Are you saying there is some sort of conspiracy going on here?

They may well be carrying out trails of SPEC's on the M4, in which case you won't get a speeding fine from them. And because of that they can keep the locations and the test results to themselves.

Reply to
NoOne

Hehe, it is pure class on the rare occasions the fuzz are around when this sort of thing happens :)

The other day, after bumper biting me for a mile or so on a dark un-lit road (national speed limit single carriage-way, but I was going about 40-ish because it was raining hard), a muppet over-took me on the brow of a hill in an unbelievable display of utter stupidity.

I couldn't help but grin though, because he obviously hadn't spotted that the car in front of me was a copper that had just gone over the top of the hill himself and so was out of site at the time the muppet decided over-take me!

Cue blue lights :)

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

a lot of people have had these mails sent to them what I want to know is, for those of us who have all singing all dancing radar detectors, do they detect the specs cameras? or does specs use that, a bit dodgy reading, number plate recognition system?

Reply to
dojj

Christ, you don't half spout a load of sanctimonious bollocks at times.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Nope, SPECS is a zero-emission system - it's simply an automated version of VASCAR, with two cameras recording your start and end times over a measured distance and using av.speed=distance/time to decide whether to send you a ticket or not.

Reply to
Neil Barker

Take look here

GPS based speed detectors will be the only way.

intervention.

Reply to
NoOne

Cool this makes very interesting reading for many. But my question is. Is this the longest tread ever and if so i just thought i would put a post to add to it. J

GPS based speed detectors will be the only way.

intervention.

Reply to
Jay

not by a long shot mate ;)