Oil Change? Ha...No Probs

Couldn't be bothered doing the 2-monthly oilchange on the Golf Mk.III TDI, despite having the oil and filter rattling around in the boot for weeks. So took it to an exhaust centre (name is somewhat unpronouncable, but starts with Mc :)) in Glasgow, who changed the oil, fuel filter and oil for a mere

10 UKP thus saving me crawling around under the car, getting my hands dirty and having the dirty oil sitting in the shed for months until I can be arsed taking it to the recycling centre. I shall be a regular custumer at that establishment from now on. They do it while you have a free coffee in their reception, you can even keep an eye on the mechanic while you sip you drink :)

cheers KarlS

Reply to
karl s

Mk.III TDI,

hands dirty

Yep, it is an ideal option for those that can't be arsed. Say's it all really.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

^^^^^^^^

I take it that they are a charity, as the cost of a fuel and oil filter alone are more than £10. Mond you I'd pay someone a tenner to change a diesel filter. Horrible stuff diesel.

JB

Reply to
JB

Not if you buy in bulk

Reply to
DuncanWood

[...]

Yeah, but what sort of fluidum is it then? And what kind of oil filter?

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

The OP says he had the oil and filter already - i.e. he supplied them.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

Well the same, The price of any oil in 205L barrels is a lot lower than in

4l cans & oil filters aren't very expensive, even for Bosch.
Reply to
DuncanWood

Indeed the filters were original VW items aquired from Eurocarparts and the oil was the Magnatec stuff from Castrol. KarlS

Reply to
karl s

Then you have to be quick. On my way to work the other day, I heard an item on my radio about garage labour charges around London. There were BMW and Volvo garages charging £152 per hour!

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

On 27-Jun-04 10:34:18, Huw said

Feel free to mock, because I don't know the answer, but somebody told me that the advantage of doing it yourself, is that using the sump plug you get all the debris out, whereas a garage will suck it out from the top, thus not removing all the potentially harmful stuff.

Valid point?

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

The message from "Angus Manwaring" contains these words:

Would be if they all used sumpsuckers - but I've a feeling many of 'em still pull the plug.

Reply to
Guy King

In article , karl s writes

Speaking of Magnatec, my local Tesco's has it reduced from 20 quid to 15 (10w/40). Tesco, Bidston, if anyone's interested.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes, but time is money, so they don't wait that long for the oil to come out.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

contains

Most still use the sump plug but even if they sucked, or didn't wait for the last few drops to drip out of the hole, it doesn't matter. The amount of oil left would be minute compared to what is left in galleries and pools inside the engine anyhow. FWIW most Mercedes dealers suck the oil out and it is a perfectly efficient method as long as the pipe reaches the lowest point of the sump. Of course, if you are paranoid, you will always wonder whether you have left a pint or three in there, in which case you should carry on using the sump plug. Small problem, simple remedy!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Possibly

Nope, I can take all day, or even a couple of days at it. It makes no difference. In fact it usually takes a quarter of an hour at most.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Costco do it for just over £12 (inc. VAT).

You have to be a member, I know, but some people are anyway (buy domestic essentials in bulk etc.)

T.

Reply to
T.

If you take it to a garage, there is your own time, as well as the mechanic's to cost. I would do it myself unless, for example, I had a job interview the next day and didn't want to show up with oily hands.

Reply to
dp

heard

Yes indeed. Twice the time if you look at it that way.

I would do it myself unless, for example, I had a

hands.

You naughty boy. Wash your hands before going to bed!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On this great dayMon, 28 Jun 2004 18:54:58 +0100, "Huw" wrote:

Reply to
Mike

The message from snipped-for-privacy@stopglobalnet.co.uk (Mike) contains these words:

Big tank at the local dump.