OK, so I'm a plonker............

Nearly done it in a new Honda Jazz, as it was so quiet. A hire car, but without the sticker on the petrol (or in this case, actually diesel) quiet car.

Reply to
David R

Thanks for all the replies, folks. Certainly led to an interesting discussion. Unfortunately it turned out pretty academic for me as I did my back in over Christmas so no way I can get under there. Local garage - not main dealer - coming to collect today. I'll post the final bill just out of interest.

Happy new year

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

Billy H ( snipped-for-privacy@sforxmas.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Older pre-common rail diesels didn't have pumps that raise the fuel pressure to in excess of 20,000 psi.

Common rail injection.

Reply to
Adrian

Billy H ( snipped-for-privacy@sforxmas.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Adrian

Eventually came to £164 including recovery on a flatbed and VAT.

Reply to
Bald eagle

Do you not have breakdown/recovery cover? They deal with this on a day-to-day basis... presumably at no charge either.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Are you thinking that a recovery service will repair with a mis-fuelled vehicle at no cost? If so, I'm afraid you are wrong.

You will either get recovered to your home, or to a local garage that will put things right. Only the recovery part will be free. You will have to pay whatever the garage charges for the work needed. A drain out is usually around 100UKP if no other work is needed.

I have direct information only for the AA, but I'm sure the other services will be the same.

Patrols are not allowed to syphon fuel by the roadside. It is considered to be too high-risk. There is also the problem of disposal of contaminated fuel. The days of pouring it down the nearest storm drain are (hopefully) gone!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Okay, sounds feasible. Never actually done it so didn't know first hand.

Useful if only for the 'free' recovery-to-a-garage aspect though.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton