OT: MoT test: absence of delay

MoT this week was unlike any since the computerised system started. No delay after arrived. Car was on the lift within a few minutes. In and out in less 30 minutes. Have they changed the system to remove the delay after logging the car so as to help testers cope with the autumn peak caused by the Covid-19 extensions?

Reply to
Robin

What was this previous delay?

Reply to
alan_m

After the computer system came in more than one tester* told me there was a delay between them entering the car's details and getting confirmation it was registered so they could start the test. They thought it was deliberate. They may have been wrong but this was at an independent place which did only MoTs so they had nothing else to do while waiting.

Reply to
Robin

There is a minimum time for testers can complete the test, I believe it's 45 minutes.

Perhaps it is this they were referring to? If they can do tests in 30 minutes, then perhaps they have to wait 15 minutes before they can finish the test and start the next one?

Reply to
Fredxx

About same for me yesterday but it's always been quick since they started booking test slots. Alan's test centre Burton on Trent. They have 2 test lanes and online booking at 40min intervals.

Arrived about 5 min early for a pre-booked 9am slot, left the car with them and walked up the High street to go to bank. Came back at 9:24am, saw the car was parked outside in a different place. Went in paid, collected the pass.

Computerized test slots stop them messing about and bumping you in the queue for mates.

Reply to
Peter Hill

If someone doesn't turn up then they have to sit around on their arses until the next slot?

Hospitals used "computerised" appointments but often are running hours late (or have given 10 patients the same time for one facility)

Reply to
alan_m

I'd imagine they have other repair/etc jobs to get on with. Although not at test-only MOT centres.

Some independent garages that have a bit of space (eg rural ones) have doer-upper cars lurking at the back, that they work on when they have a slow day and the mechanics aren't busy. They also might have a courtesy car fleet they maintain. Perhaps that's what they do when they have a no-show or cancellation?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

That's not been my experience during Covid. Having been on a course of treatment during it. Last thing they wanted was a waiting room full of people.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I thought any MOT place had to have a dedicated MOT bay. So other work can't interfere?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Or sweep up!

Reply to