OT: Where to get a ride in a track car please?

Hi All,

As many of you are petrol (or derv it seems now) heads, I though I'd ask here.

Daughter is 18 in a couple of months and asked yesterday if there was any way she could get a fast ride round a track on a bike or in a car as her birthday thing.

I spoke to a biker mate earlier and he suggested 'pillions' weren't allowed (at all?) on many tracks now so I was thinking that a lap or two as a passenger in a car of some sort may be more likely?

Anyone actually done such a thing (in the UK and as near to London as possible ... so Brands maybe?) and ideally not 'silly money' please?

The Red Letter Day things seem to be mainly driver experiences. There is the odd one like 'Rally Driver Experience' (that sounds exciting) where you can just be a passenger so that could be ok?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. I'm asking rather than Googling because I'd like to know what the real punter experience is likely to be rather than what the marketing people want you to believe.

p.p.s. She and I have watched the Super bikes at Brands, Touring Cars at Silverstone, Dragsters at The Pod and been round the off road track at Abbingdon. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

There are a couple of track instructors on Club GTI's forums who may be able to help out with a passenger ride in a track prepped MK1 or 2 Golf GTI (probably nudging on 160-170 brake and 8-900 kilos). TBH I think you'll need a track school / instructor to find someone with the relevant insurance.

I've also heard a great deal of the experience day type things from the firms who do everything (ie, drive a race car, or go in a hot air balloon, or go to a spa) can be a bit tight on actual time quick motors. OTOH I know a few off here have been to some things organised by Jonathan Palmer and rate them highly.

Reply to
Doki

Ooo, that sounds like the thing Doki!

Understood. And if it was being done as a favour (with all the legal stuff in place of course) rather than a job I'd still be more than happy to buy all the ice creams or put towards the fuel / whatever! ;-)

And events not existing etc. :-(

Super, well if anyone has the ear of such a person I've got a couple of months, *some* funds and we are pretty flexible time wise.

I would rather be the fly on the wall with someone willing to put themselves out a bit for a budding petrol head (our daughter) than funding the coffers of some big Co.

All the best and thanks for your feedback.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Would she be interested in out and out speed? How does 170mph sound?

Abo

Woah, that is interesting Abo. ;-)

As long as it was actually in one of the real Stock Cars, not something 'else'? :-(

I'll add it to the 'looking good' list, thanks.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

6 laps (2.4 mile laps) in 3 cars - RX8, SLK 350 and then Ferrari 335. £80, but using Tesco vouchers, it'll only cost £20 in vouchers. I'm still to arrange my 4 car (inc single seater Formula Renault!), 16 lap drive (using £80 of vouchers) - so can't yet say how it marketing stuff relates to real life! Saved up the Tesco vouchers for over a year of shopping + petrol etc - but £20 of them shouldn't take long (assuming you shop at Tesco!) D
Reply to
David Hearn

Ooo, another for the list thanks David.

I guess it doesn't matter if it's only road cars if they are driving them hard enough. ;-)

(sweet)

Hmm, we don't (well, not regularly or anything big etc).

It might have to be real money then ... :-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m