Oxidized paint - alternative treatments

Having got some wd40 on the boot of my old car (dark blue originally... now dull blue with lots of white haze)- I noticed on wiping it off well it seemed to clean up the oxidized paint and bring up the colour pretty well... (easier than when I have previously tried with various polishes etc which usually don't work - especially as it either rains half way thru the job, or the sun comes out and bakes the polish on... or I'm in a rush between taxi-ing the kids etc)...

searching the web I notice that other people (USA?) have recommeneded such things as adding a cup of kersosene (std heating paraffin?) to a bucket of water and dishwashing soap, and washing the car with this, then rinse it off with fresh water to really clean up the paintwork...

Anyone tried this on a whole car... and can recommend it as an easier way than t-cutting the whole car... (if so presume that you then would finish it with a std waxing?) .... or is there really no substitute for lots of time and elbow grease?

thanks AJ

Reply to
nospammer999

It is a sort lived solution, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Parrafin / Kerosene, WD40.

Its all mineral, this will not damage the paint and may even shine it quite nice, but dont use too much as it will effect the rubber bits badly, ie the window rubbers and wiper blades, as these are natural rubber and dont take to kindly to mineral fluids.

Regards Slim

Reply to
Slim

T-cutting a car really isn't that hard work, but it's not great stuff IMO. Get some proper compound (ie, farecla G3) and use that.

Reply to
Doki