permitted bodywork repairs

I've been discussing on another group what standard of bodywork repair is permissible to pass the MOT and meet other UK regulations.

I had a rather ratty VW camper which I ran for several years, but had no real problems with the MOT. I had many of the panels held together with pop rivets and metal sheets - I even used a coke can once in an emergency. There was a very liberal application of filler and fibreglass on the wheel arches, and I made sure there were no sharp edges. This was all on the non structural areas though. Anything like seat belt mounts and chassis members were welded solid, and I always made sure that brakes, suspension, steering etc were OK.

I've now got a much better camper, but I'm being told that repairs must all be seam welded even in non structural areas. Is this so?

Reply to
andyv

No.

Reply to
SteveH

andyv ( snipped-for-privacy@fastmail.fm) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

'ere we go again...

EVERYTHING you need to know about how to fail the MOT is at http://www,motuk.co.uk - and, yes, I did mean "How to fail", because the default is to PASS. A vehicle will only fail if it actually *meets* explicitly listed fail points.

MOT only gives a toss within certain specific areas - all repairs within those areas must be to the same standard as original. Outside those areas, no sharp edges. If there wasn't any join there, then it should be seam welded. If a complete panel has been let in, then it should be at least spot welded to the original standard, with a similar amount of welds.

Reply to
Adrian

Thanks guys. As I suspected - I was worried something had recently changed.

Reply to
andyv

No, it's bollocks.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Non structural areas can be repaired without seam welding but! if a vehicle looks "ratty" then most test centers won't want to MOT it, I would fail everything I possibly could and advise as little as possible ( on tidy vehicles I try to pass and advise as much as possible). Very few MOT stations are ever given grief by VOSA for being too strict but loads are fined and made to retake courses for letting things through, A class 4 testing station cost around £20000 to set up, an MOT cost's £1.44p and can be sold for £44 , why would anyone want to risk that sort of money on a ratty old VW camper ?

Reply to
Fred

Well, now I know why my Escort failed on things that it had previously passed on, just because it looked a bit scrappy.

Funny how I then had to pay for 2 wishbones, but you only fitted one!

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The message from "Fred" everything I possibly could and advise as little as possible ( on tidy

You don't harf come out with some complete bollocks sometimes.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm sure VOSA would be very interested in hearing about your policy of biasing MOT results depending on how the vehicle looks.

Reply to
SimonJ

"Fred" > is permissible to pass the MOT and meet other UK regulations.

WTF !!! im an mot tester & that certainly isn't ours or VOSA's policy !!!! you can not refuse to test a vehicle unless its not within the test class you are allowed to test or it falls into the refusal to test criteria, you've not only done your self a dis-service but all the other mot testers & centres that do a bloody good job !!!

why should a tatty vehicle be less likely to fail/pass then a clean one ? all vehicles are treated to the same criteria as per the manual & as for advising as little possible, you living in a dream world mate, you advise as much possible, if you've every been on any VOSA refresher course's the phrase C.Y.A springs to mind Cover Your Arse. you advise on anything that is remotely iffy & another phrase is used PANDA, Pass And Advise......................over to you !

Reply to
reg

When I was doing my C&G at College, they taught a guy with Downs=20 Syndrome how to fit tyres. The guy used to do a cracking job and a=20 local firm took him on. =20

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor

Nor am I the one that "tracked you down". :)

Reply to
Dave

Lol, a nice mistake if ever there was one. I did figure from the website that you looked like a respectable chap, sorry about that ;)

Still, anybody after some tea and crumpets should be welcomed I imagine.

Reply to
David R

LOL watch that wild fingerpointing...

Reply to
PC Paul

Careful. Apparently Fred has a Forklift truck licence and is an HGV Class 1 instructor as well as an MOT merchant.

Or, if you listen to anybody *except* Fred, he's just a tyre fitter.

Hmm. I wonder.

Reply to
PC Paul

It certainly wasn't Edwin then.

Reply to
Martin

For th epurposes of not failing an MoT repairs must *appear* to be to the same standard as original. That's why fibreglass repairs in structural areas often pass an MoT. There's no obiligation to prove that repairs have been done to a proper standard. I've seen in one MoT place a sign that says if we fail your car because it needs welding we will only retest if the repairs haven't been painted or oversealed.

Reply to
adder1969

How would they have detected a fibreglass repair if it had been done before the initial test then?

The manual does allow for testing and rejection of "repair by filler":

"Excessively corroded metal, or metal treated with filler, emits a duller sound than does unaffected metal. It is not necessary to apply heavy impact blows or to use a sharp instrument to 'dig' at the structure."

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You would have loved my multicoloured Skoda Estelle then. Some panels brush painted. Badly rubbed down filler in dents by a=20 previous owner, rips in the vinyl roof. Uey underneath, every expense spent on fixing previous visible and non=20 visible floorpan and chassis corrosion followed by proper stripping, de- rusting and re-sealing. It passed every MOT I put it through. From the=20 top it looked like a shit heap with pitting and paint slopped in to stop=20 further rusting.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

I've seen and had the standard garage patch plate jobs on my own cars=20 in the past. Didn't fancy an old bit of scrap shoved on and birdshit=20 welding round the outside of it.

Plenty out there...far cheaper than MK1/2 essies.=20