peugeot 106 1998 doesn't start after being left for a short while!!!!

Having problems with my 106. It always starts first time, however if i drive it and leave the come back to it, anything up to an hour later, it takes about 10 minutes of turning the engine over to get it to start again!!! but it always does start eventually. Have taken it to two garages, first one said that the problem was not mechanical, but something to do with computer which he couldn't fix. Took it to the next garage who said there is nothing wrong with car as they had checked the computer and hadn't found a fault!!! I know that there is something wrong with it, does anyone have any ideas!!!!! Please help, I know I am not going mad!!!!!

Reply to
vikkimcdonald

Poor hot starting can be caused by an excessively rich fuel mixture. This could just be a mixture screw needing adjustment or a failed temperature sensor making the ecu think the engine is cold. Is the fuel consumption poor or normal?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Yes the coolant temp sensor may be the culprit

Reply to
Howard L

Get a grip, this is SPi!

Either the CTS is up the spout and instructing the ECU to overfuel for the temperature, or the injector is leaking into the manifold and again causing an excessively rich mixture.

Does it smell of fuel when attempting to re-start?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Well, that rules out the mixture screw.

So it could still be "a failed temperature sensor"

"making the ecu think the engine is cold"

At least you had one useful suggestion that wasn't in the post you replied to and seemingly failed to read.

Reply to
David Taylor

Have we established beyond doubt that it's petrol? My wife's 106 diesel doesn't have a computer thingummybob but it is an old one.

Reply to
Malc

Actually...no we havent. LOL! *sunstroke*

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..