Peugeot 306 1.4 Spark Plugs/Service tools

I've offered to service a friends Pug 306 for her later this afternoon. It's an R-plate 1.4 model. Brakes and fluid were done a few weeks ago so a quick check over will do.

It's years since I was under the bonnet of one so I have three questions -

1.How accessible are the plugs, and will I need extensions to reach them?
  1. What sort of tool is needed for the drain plug?
  2. Where's the fuel filter located?

It's getting oil and filter, air filter, plugs, leads and a fuel filter. Anything I've missed? It had a new rad 6 months ago, so I'm not changing the coolant either.

Reply to
Mike P

  1. Engine compartment, in the fuel line.

(Autodata) If fitted, the cabin filter should be replaced. It's at the base of the windscreen, passenger side.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sorry, forgot; most Pugs I've seen have needed an 8mm square sump plug key.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

They sometimes have a hex head too

Reply to
steve robinson

Which i think is 21mm

-
Reply to
Mark

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:45:23 +0000, steve robinson dribbled:

and sometimes they have a weird thing that's like an 8mm square but the top "side" of the square is 6mm so no sump tool on earth fits it..

I have a full set of sump plug keys, a special sump plug tool, and a 60 piece set of hex and star bits.

Not one of them fitted the sump plug. It's still on there. Everything else is done, well, apart from the fuel filter, as GSF sold me the wrong one.

Reply to
Mike P

Those can be purchased from your local dealer at ££££££ :)

Reply to
steve robinson

Just use a Stilson. It's what British Gas would have done.

Reply to
Douglas Payne
[...]

I've been told you can hammer a 1/4" socket extension in, and use that, but it's not something I'd do.

Don't blame GSF; Pug/Cit are notorious for fitting whatever parts are available, and failing to document what has been used on a particular vehicle. I've done pads on a Cit van that had two types listed both at the dealer and at GSF. Neither of them were even close! Eventually, an independent factor went through his stock and found some that fitted.

And don't even get me started on Pug/Cit rear wheel cylinders...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I had to file the smallest square lug on a "universal" cast plug key down to fit my Nephew's 206 1.6. Take it to about 8mm down the key.

Reply to
Peter Hill

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:15:55 +0100, Douglas Payne dribbled:

I couldn't get enough purchase on it with the stilsons - there's a "hump" either side of the plug, which the adjustable or stilsons just rode over and came off.

I've got 19 different sump plug tools. Not one of them came close to fitting.

I'm going to buy a new plug and make a tool to fit with a dremel from one of my plug tools. Then I'll use that to get the recalcitrant one out. If that fails, I'll cut a slot in the plug and use a chisel.

Reply to
Mike P
[...]

Be careful; Pug sumps are very thin.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:09:25 +0000, Chris Whelan dribbled:

Heh, yes, I know Chris. That's why it didn't get a 1/4" extension bar smacked into it with a BFO hammer yesterday..

Reply to
Mike P

Mike P wrote: [megasnip]

Would one of the ratchet central heating radiator keys fit? The key itself is relatively easy to cut/grind to fit.

Steve Firth

Given a 5/16" square drive plug (and most of them have a 22mm hex on the= =

outside) is under =A34 that's quite an expensive solution.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They're available cheaper, it's just the first photo that I could find.

And Mike isn't after either a 5/16" or a 22mm hex. He's after some bizarre Pug dealer-only key.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The Pug one is an 8mm/5/16" square plug. Well it was until someone tried= =

to get it out with an allen key.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I suggest you read Mike's post.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 00:05:45 +0100, Duncan Wood dribbled:

It isn't and never was.

Reply to
Mike P

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:05:42 +0100, Mike P wrote= :

ARe you sure it's original, (OK, it's a Peugeot so anything's possible) = =

but they start off with an 8mm Square hole in the middle?

Reply to
Duncan Wood