Peugeot 405 radio removal - stuck half way - HELP!

I have recently got a 1996 405 GLX Auto Estate and I wanted to replace the stereo. I worked out how to remove the stereo from this excellent site

However, the radio only comes out about half way and then no more. At this point, the power goes off, so I would image the wires are being pulled tight/out. No matter how hard I pull on the unit (and I mean hard), it will not come out. Does anyone have any ideas how to remove it?

I don't have the security code, so now if I push it back in, I can't get it to work anyway. So I'm now wishing I hadn't touched it!

Reply to
Matt

My radio is this type

ifanyone knows a security code that works.

Reply to
Matt

Google for the security codes - there are several forums that might help. They are a bit of a sod to get out on the 405 - any radio in that aperture, not just the Peugeot ones. ISTR I enlisted the help of a couple of screwdrivers to lever it out - but make sure you have got the latches fully depressed.

Reply to
asahartz

The latches are free. I think it may be the rear wiring that is stopping it come out any further. The trouble is that if it is this, then if I pull any harder, it will rip out the wiring too and make a right mess.

Reply to
Matt

I had a similar problem, I went to halfords and bought their generic stereo removal tool (two loop clips as in the photo here

)which was about two quidIt was in there quite tight, also i had to push up the roof of theplastic and then push the stero down and up., there was a lot ofweight on top of the stereo.

Reply to
Chance1234

I don't have experience with this car - this is based on a Xantia...

It does sound like you have successfully got the radio past the securing clips - but have run out of slack on the cables. As the cable plugs have retention clips, pulling harder isn't going to help.

So, any way of getting a hand in behind it? My first thought would be to see if I could remove the lighter panel. It will probably only have a single connector going to the lighter and will thus disconnect quite easily. The space it gave access to on the Xantia was surprisingly large

- with a little bit of plastic removal, enough room to hold another ISO unit. In my case, a pop-out monitor which I had connected to a computer doing GPS and AV serving under the back seat..

However, the heater and ventilation control panel looks a better bet. It may come out enough to get a hand in without disconnecting the Bowden cables going to the various louvres and valves. On a Xantia, disconnecting and reconnecting them was pretty straightforward.

Removing one or both of the above may give more slack in the cable or give enough to now reach the cable.

Also, a long shot, a previous owner had taped a bit of paper with the radio code inside the hole..

Hope that helps a bit...

BTDTGTTS. So yo have my sympathies. It may be that the heater had a problem in the past, the heater control panel was removed but trapped the radio cables when put back. So simply pulling that panel forward may free up the cables..

Reply to
Palindrome

From memory, it's some time since I had my 405, you have to pull off the strip at the top of the radio. This reveals two small holes into which you push the release tool. You have to use the tool shown, but bent it straight so that you use only one end in each hole. The radios are often difficult to remove, you do have to fiddle quite a bit up and down, in and out so to speak. The code is specific to the radio, and you will need the type number, manufacturer and possibly the serial number to derive the code. These are on the side or back of the radio, so you have no choice but remove it anyway.

Reply to
Brian

Fancy seeing you here Sue. I am used to reading your excellent contributions over on free.uk.diy.home but never expected you to pop up in the Pug group.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

That's nice of you Keith. Pop around for a cuupa and some who knows what ;-) next time you are in the area.

Reply to
Palindrome

Devon if I remember correctly. Although my family originally hailed from Totnes (with a bit of Widdecombe In The Moor, Ugborough and other places) I am well away in Sunbury on Thames. Thanks for the invite though, I'll remember it if I am ever down that way again.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Coo. Someone actually writing posts for me.

But if Keith is from around here, "who knows what" usually involves welding bits back on their tractor for them ..;)

Reply to
Palindrome

LOL, it was someone forging a message, sorry.

I drove through Totnes at around midnight last night, as it happens. Which is possibly the best thing to do in Totnes and the best time to do it..;)

Reply to
Palindrome

Actually I had assumed the "you know what" to be the traditional scones with cream and jam. Incidentally, in the States they serve up "biscuits" which turned out to be scones. Back to Totnes. I have the 1881 census on cd's and you can find members of the family living around Cistern Street and Fore Street, they seem to be mainly builders, decorators and glaziers. My cousin, who spent many years doing the family tree, reckons you can also name any pub in Totnes and he will say which member of the family ran it and when - a dubious side of the history no doubt.

Reply to
Keith Willcocks

Thanks for your comments on this. It was the wires at the rear stopping the radio coming out. I have removed the centre console trim on both sides (one broke!) and managed to get access to the rear wiring and released it. The radios are obviously installed in the factory before the tunnel and footwell trim is installed.

Still, I now have my new radio installed, a Blaupunkt Melbourne SD27 radio/SD card reader. See

Matt