Peugeot 5008

Any advice for things to look at when buying a 5008? Probably a 1.6

Looking for one around 2 years old on a 10 plate. I don't do a lot of mileage (5000ish annual) so can consider petrol and diesel. Must be 7 seater.

I have seen several rear wheel bearing kits advertised for these so assume that might be a weak point on them.

What would be maximum acceptable mileage on both petrol and diesel?

Finally what price can I expect to pay for a good one with FSH?

TIA

Reply to
Joe 60

A) does it have a Peugeot badge? B) if so avoid like the plague.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why do you say that. I have a 206SW almost from new and it has been no trouble whatsoever.

Reply to
Joe 60

My wife's 205 Gentry (a 1.9GTi Auto) was a cracking car. No more troublesome than any other we've owned.

Reply to
Huge

I suspect that these ones where people say they'd never have one again have all been old bangers with 53 owners on the log book.

Reply to
Joe 60
[...]

Not necessarily. You have to look at the bigger picture; independent surveys show French cars in general and Peugeot in particular to have a greater number of breakdowns and need more repairs than others.

Of course, a small number of owners of cars shown as unreliable will have no problems with their particular car, and conversely otherwise reliable makes will have individual cars showing lots of faults.

The biggest issue I have with Peugeot is the difficulty of repairing them. They are the worst company for not recording which vehicle has a particular part fitted. It seems they buy components from lots of sources, and fit whatever is to hand on the assembly line. More the once I've stood in parts departments with bits in my hand that I've just removed from a Pug, and been told that it couldn't possibly have come from that model!

I've never seen a wiring diagram for a Pug that actually corresponded to reality!

They also make changes during production that are not passed downstream. For example, they changed the rear wheel cylinder specification for smaller vehicles to match that of larger ones. This means that if you buy the only wheel cylinder that is now available, the brake pipe won't fit, and no part is stocked that can correct this situation. The only way round it is to make, or have made, a pipe with a rarely-used nut. It's a complete PITA, and even the dealers have been caught out by it.

OTOH, someone who buys new every three years or so is less likely to be troubled by these issues.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've had that with a Cavalier Master Clinder, the dealer tried to convince me that somebody had changed it to M12 fittings after they'd built it, including making up new steel brake pipes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Is this a 1.6 diesel?

Just don't.

Wheezy, asthmatic, thirsty. Totally unsuited to something that size - I only saw 39mpg from that engine in a Focus.

The 2.0 HDI / TDCI engine is much, much better. Especially with a Powershift box.

Reply to
SteveH

have to agree - owning a 2.0 HDI - and driven a smaller engined loan car.

I think the 5008 is a 4x4?? and the smaller engin would not be suitable. Don't be mislead by smaller engines are more economical.

What's more I think the body is from Mitsubishi.

Reply to
Rob

Not that I am aware of

Reply to
Joe 60

And just to prove the point made above about peoples POV differing, I get over 50 mpg around town, to and from work, with some rural, motowary work upto 25mile trips out of my focus.

The pool car at work stays about 40mpg but then that is driven mainly on short trips with the air con on and enthusiastically with a larger electrical load.

The 5008 is a bigger car so I would see your logic.

Reply to
Tom Burton

Yes that was back when Peugeot had a brief period of making a car that wasn't shit. Everything before it and everything after it has been dreadful and of course they are French .

Reply to
Steve Firth

Aren't most/a lot of the parts made in Iran?

Reply to
Joe 60

The 1.9 auto was sadly detuned from 130hp to about 105 AFAIK but still a hoot to drive :)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Why are autos sometimes detuned? Is it so they can use an off-the-shelf gearbox which can't handle the full torque of the highest spec engines?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

Maybe partly , maybe to do with the narrower power band of a small tuned engine, coupled with generally fewer gear ratios in an auto box (not nowadays)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They're not always detuned. The original Mini auto had a more powerful engine than the equivalent manual.

But older autos with few ratios may work better with an engine with a different torque curve to a manual.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As we howled down the Newport Pagnell bypass at 105 mph on our test drive, my wife, who is not a quick driver (and was driving), was observed to comment "Nippy, isn't it?"

Reply to
Huge

The original Mini auto made a slug look like a race car.

Reply to
Huge

That's very true. My Mom had one. 0-60 best timed with a calendar.

Reply to
Chris Bartram