power steering fluid

My previous BMW had a transmission fluid dipstick, 2006 330d Auto.

Reply to
David

Really ? I thought that most cars now calculated the data from the ESP or DSC or ABS modules.

Reply to
David

The norm on most cars is that there is a speed sensor on the output of the gear box. Using an abs sensor would be possible, but doesn't seem to be done.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

OK, thanks Mr. C

Reply to
David

Really? Thought all BMW (ZF) autos were 'sealed for life' from the mid '90s. My '92 525 with a 5 speed ZF didn't have a dipstick either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, I thought it strange that our current BMW did not have one (transmission fluid dipstick) till you and I commented on such around 18 months ago.

Reply to
David

I know that both the Alfas I've owned (2000 156, 2008 Brera) use the ABS/ESP wheel sensor signals, so I imagine most/all modern Fiat group stuff will work the same way.

-- DAS

Reply to
D A Stocks

My last two BMWs haven't had a gearbox driven speedo drive. And the current one is getting on a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mrcheerful" saying something like:

Many modern cars have dipsticks for drivers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's what above and the equipment is to basically measure the oil temperature, there is a tube up from the bottom acting as a dam type level. When the oil is at a certain temperature the excess oil will over flow down the tube then the plug is replaced to seal the box.

A new gearbox "sealed for life" - the replacement is dry. The required volume is placed in the box. Then the above process takes place to sort the oil levels.

Most of the new cars have sealed gearboxes.

Reply to
Rob

My old 1992 Nissan Primera had a washer fluid dipstick, though not an actual stick it was clear tubing with a scale printed on it attached to the filler cap air hole and if you plugged the hole with your finger when lifting of the cap the vacuum held fluid in the tube. The only problem was the fluid discoloured the tube after a while and you couldn't read the level against the scale

Reply to
Trevor Smith