power steering skoda Felicia

Hi. I have a 1.9 Diesel Skoda Felicia. The steering is rather heavy and I suspect not as efficient as it should be. The fluid level is OK and the hoses are not kinked or leaking. How can I determine if the pump or something else is worn? Are there any easy tests that I can carry out?

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Martin Radford

Reply to
martinradman

Unless you are pretty sure there is a fault, perhaps it might be best to try a "test drive" in an identical car to see if it was any different?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

are the tyres blown up?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You are lucky it had power steering. Only the diesel, and the very last petrol ones did.

Reply to
Elder

It's the 1.9 diesel...

Reply to
DervMan

Check the tyre pressures are up to specification and for that matter, the fronts are not shot.

Otherwise, as Chris suggests, try another 1.9 diesel if you can find it.

Reply to
DervMan

there is another possible which is more work to find: a seized steering joint, like often happened on transits, the only sign of a fault is slightly stiffer steering than normal until suddenly a wheel pops out to the side and it kneels down at that corner and /or you crash into something.

Reply to
Mrcheerful