Prace bets - repair or write-off?

Just spoken to the mother. It appears she had a choice the other day of hedge or head-on, due to some f****it deciding that their overtake was more important than any oncoming traffic... Ooops.

Fortunately, she chose hedge, but since matey didn't bother to stop, the resulting claim is down to her. She's already got the paperwork underway, but the assessor's not come yet.

So... Repair or toast? If toast, how much?

2001/51 Pug 306 Meridian SE 1.6 petrol estate. Leather, aircon etc. Hers from new, 53k, full history. Very good condition until the other day. Damage is light panel - bonnet bent, paintwork badly scratched all down passenger side with a couple of light grazes into the metal. Wheels & tyres look OK, drives fine.

To save you looking, there's three almost identical cars on Autotrader - the closest is a 51-reg w/ 57k for £1900. There's also a couple of optimists with 02/80k for £2200 and Y/41k for £2500.

My guess is repair, but it'll be close.

For your supplementary question... If it is toast, what does she replace it with? Similar size estate, enough space in the back for a biggish dog. Interesting to drive and petrol would get bonus points, but not at the expense of fragility. European manufacturer would be a preference. The Pug's been 100% reliable, so she'd have no qualms with another.

Oh, and would anybody want it for the salvage value...?

Reply to
Adrian

Write off. Be prepared to argue the payout as they will start by taking the piss at approx 70% of book private sale value (dealer values are used for vehicles under 7 years or so). IIRC salvage was usually between 10 and 20% of book price, so £100-£400. Autotrader ads are what you need for bargaining. A Glass' or CAP value from a trader would be also be very useful. Generally values are done in a hurry so make sure they've valued it with every option, and for the right model.

Personally speaking, I'd be tempted to go for cash in lieu of repair.

Reply to
Doki

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

If only there was one handy...

My email works, Pete...

Reply to
Adrian

One of those. No, not the Fucup.

May want to avoid the sillyspeed, though.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, thank you VERY bloody much.

I've now got a mental image of my 70yo mother tonking along on a Ducati with the red setter riding pillion, ears and fur flapping in the slipstream like there's no tomorrow...

Should have mentioned - whatever she ends up buying, it'll almost certainly be new.

Reply to
Adrian

Ahhh, could be a problem. I can't actually think of any decent small estates out there these days, aside from maybe the Golf. But it's due to be replaced by a MkVI soon - and I know you don't rate them at all.

How about a bit oddball - don't laugh - Kia C'eed estate.

There's one around the corner - looks a bit A3 / Pug 307SW but cheap, well made and a long warranty.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Indeed, but I don't have to drive it.

Stupid list price, though, and the MkVI is not going to be discount city for a while.

My heart wants to run, screaming - but my head can see the attraction. Against, though, is that it's the kind of thing that there probably won't be a lot of deals on at the mo, though - which is why she's thinking "Buy something new, get one of these excellent deals everyone's talking about..."

I'm wondering what sort of price Saab'll do a 9-3 estate for... Or a smaller sprog/dog-bus - B'ling Mutleyspace or similar.

Reply to
Adrian

Not *that* stupid.

If you want stupid - look at the Ford price list. Yes, I appreciate that Ford dealers discount like there's no tomorrow - but the Focus I'm currently driving listed at the wrong side of £18k as I recall - for a

1.6 diesel in wipe clean rental trim, ffs.

Kind of puts the VW price into perspective when the 1.9TDI-SE lists at similar money.

Hmmmm, dunno - not looked.

Nearly new they're probably peanuts, though.

Having driven a current model Rio I can tell you that Kia have come on a hell of a long way in recent years - yes, they needed to, but I didn't think the Rio drove any worse or was any worse built than the outgoing Fiesta - if anything the overall package was better. It's bigger and cheaper, too.

Saab are doing a 'VAT Free' promo at the moment - but, again, 1 year old is the way to go. 9-5 even cheaper.

The new Multispace looks good, as does the new C3 Picasso.

Reply to
SteveH

Although given the way they're discounting pre-registered ones she can probably afford an Avensis

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I reckon repair. My A3 had 3.8k of repairs when it was worth 4.5kish.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

.jsp

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

That's trade value mind.

Reply to
Doki

In the end, the decision was quick to come.

The assessor turned up at half seven last Weds morning, took a quick squizz, and said "It's brown bread, love. Here's =A32k less your =A350 excess, and we'll take it away now." And she said "Yes".

I gather her 4k mile ex-demo 207 HDi Sport estate was delivered yesterday.

Reply to
toomany2cvs