Prace bets now...

My JDM Prelude 2.2 VTI, a low slung coupe with its 197bhp VTEC engine, and

4WS, vs whatever the Alfa 156 saloon SteveH has is, over a fast bit of twisty road - which one, assuming drivers of equal ability are driving, is going to come out top?

MrH reckons the 156 would give it a run for its money - what do you reckon?

And for the purposes of this poll, we won't be including stuff like, needing to stop every five miles to top up the oil, or the eventual wait for the recovery truck, in the equation. ;-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Prelude is lardier, longer and wider. And a lot older.

It's also not booked at 197bhp.... try 185bhp.

Power / weight ratios are within 10bhp of each other.

It'll be a hell of a lot closer than you think.

Does this mean we have to discount changing the 4ws relays and fuses at random intervals?

Reply to
SteveH

Jap ones were more powerful.

It'll be tight ;) Someone video it :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Heh. It'll be *very* tight.

I never said the 156 would walk it or anything, just that it'd be too close to call.

I really do rate Preludes, they're cracking cars, but this one is incredibly close.

Not that I'm in any position to prove it, given that she'd divorce me if I pranged her pride and joy.

Reply to
SteveH

I'd volunteer, got the video gear, but I'd probably end up shunting you in the chase car as you'd be going too slow for me

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You wouldn't be shunting me :) One of them, maybe.... Besides, if i was in i'd be kind enough to park up and wait for you at the other end :)

Reply to
DanTXD

It might be older, but it was quite advanced for its time.

It's lower with a lower centre of gravity... has a wider, more square track, and of course, 4WS. Oh, and LSD, as well as traction control.

It's not your usual 90s scrabble wagon (unless you switch off the TCS).

YTC... JDM models are rated at 197bhp, around 15bhp more than the UK spec models.

LOL... trackday, and put your money where your mouth is, rather than endangering the local wildlife.

ROTFL

How often do they need this sorting Steve, eh, and how much does the lack of this affect the car?

Even without the 4WS, it'll still kick a cooking 156s arse - that, and it'll still be reliably driveable.

That aside, would you like me to get my mate to bring my Cavalier and towing set up to the track, so you don't have to spend too much getting your car recovered?

HTH

I'm looking forward to shattering the dream world you live in with regards to piece of shit wop motors - trackday, and bring the 75 as well if you want. £200 says I'll piss all over the pair of them.

For the rest of you... I don't particularly love my car... as with most of my cars, the price attracted me more than what it actually was, and it's turned out to be a bit of a performance bargain that I quite like... I'm just sick of being subjected to a regular blinkered barrage of 'ooh, my car is so wonderful, everything else is rubbish' type s**te, and the best way I can think of to shut MrH up, is to humble him by way of a good old fashioned whipping.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I don't do pathetic school boy challenges like this.

I have never once said the 156 would beat it easily, just that it would be a *lot* closer than you seem to assume.

Ultimately, the Prelude would probably edge it, but it wouldn't walk away with it by any means.

Just as an example..... there's some sweeping bends on a dual carriageway locally where the 156 comfortably takes them 20mph faster than feels safe in the Passat.

Reply to
SteveH

It's not pathetic... what is, is your blinkered love for your car, based purely upon who made it, and where it was made.

I ask this... if your 156 had a badge on it, that wasn't Alfa, and wasn't even Italian... would you have bought it, or even looked into buying one?

Say it had been a product of a French manufacturer, would you have even given one a second thought???

Prove it then. :-)

And your Passat has done how many miles again, remind us...

140k or thereabouts IIRC, so apart from the fact it's designed to be softer, got any receipts for recent bush / shock / spring replacements?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Given the Prelude will have to stop to replace fuses / reset the 4ws afew times, and the 156 will have to stop to refill with oil, i;d say it'll be even. ;-)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

LOL

The Preludes tend to only do this in old age, and it's mainly due to solder on the main two relays, breaking down, and then when the car gets nice and hot, gaps open up.

This is why we'll be, at some stage in the next couple of weeks, refurbishing the control units. :-)

That aside, they handle well even with the 4WS not working.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

When and where, i'll bring my golf too and just T-bone steve as soon as I get the chance...

;)

I'll put £20 on Jack!

Reply to
REMUS

Oh, the 156 for sure. Remember that it has a race bred chassis, the best front wheel drive in the world. It also has such a superb engine, hey it'll walk it.

Annnnnd the Honda is a characterless Japanese car with funky too-light steering too.

Hold on, there's a tranmission. Reality check.

It would be interesting. Better write to Top Gear I suppose.

As we're led to believe, the 156 V6s are too heavy at the front, so although they have lots of grunt, they would be unable to apply it.

That would mean the 2.0 JTS then. 165 bhp? Is it heavier?

Anyway, since i strongly suspect SteveH won't be up for this 'cos it's no fun or somesuch nonsense, the only we'll know is via Gran Turismo 4... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Ahhhh... I forgot about that.

:-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Or, more accurately, that I wouldn't want to bend the wife's car.

Reply to
SteveH

Don't crash? ;)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

And incase you do, track day insurance to replace it for her?

Reply to
REMUS

Have you seen the excesses on those policies?

Reply to
SteveH

We could go post apocalyptic and find an abandoned airfield to race your two on at night :) I can just imagine the theme music: DragonForce - "My Spirit Will Go On"

I tried to play that on guitar once and had wrist spasms.

Reply to
REMUS