Previous owners

Is there any way of tracing previous owners of a vehicle? I just want to ask them whether they ever had the cambelt changed, maybe save me the time and the expense.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

I think you can apply to DVLA for that information. your current V5C (aka logbook) will certainly have the immediate previous owner on the front.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Any idea how? I thought so too but their Website gives no clue. I suppose I could email them or ask my local DVLA outpost.

'Twas a dealer, he didn't know whether the cambelt had done, and he's not exactly Mr Communicative - may have no record of who the previous owner was and doubt he would tell me if he did.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Pop in to you rlocal DVLA office. They can probably help.

A dealer should not transfer the registration to his/her own name - there is a section on the V5 for notifying that you've transferred a car to a dealer. When you get the new V5C in your own name it will show the previous owner as the person who sold it to the dealer, not the dealer itself.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Ok, I should clarify: it was a dealer who transferred ownership to himself so he could use it as a runabout.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

Nick Dobb ( snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Apart from this subtle clue :-

Previous keeper details

If you are the current keeper you can get information about any earlier keepers on application. You should write to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ quoting the registration number of the vehicle and giving the reasons for your request. A fee of £5 is payable.

Reply to
Adrian

If that's the case it's always worth budgeting for a cambelt change anyway, and knocking it off the price when buying.

Hindsight being a wonderful thing, it would have been worth looking for the previous keeper's name (previous to the dealer) on the logbook that you filled in when buying it.

Looks like you can get the details (see Adrian's post) but must give reasons - I can't see why chasing up some of the service history is a reason why they'd refuse giving you the details though, so probably worth a shot.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Heh.... if I did that with my new (to me car), the dealer would be paying me to take it away!

Reply to
SteveH

They've always accepted "it's my car" as a reason. Send the fiver, you get photocopies of all the registration documents.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Since there's no service history with the vehicle, I wouldn't rely on the word of a previous owner. He may not know what a cambelt is and say it was properly serviced. Not many would admit to neglecting this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AstraVanMan ( snipped-for-privacy@whataloadofforeskinbollocks.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You need "reasons" to get the details of somebody else's car. "It's my car" is a sufficient reason to get the previous keepers of your own car.

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed. If buying a car above 40,000 miles, you should replace the cambelt immediately after purchase unless there is proper evidence that it has already been done. The purchase price should reflect the situation.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A car above 40,000 miles? Try "any car over 4 years old" full stop. There could be a 10-year-old super low miler that's never had the cambelt done, with the belt just about to snap due to going brittle with age. But yes, unlesss there's proper evidence that it's been done then you should always budget for it to be done ASAP, and along with the cambelt, anything that could fail and cause the cambelt to snap/get chewed up, like the water pump (if it's cambelt driven) and all the tensioners.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Indeed. However, all my cars have done well over 20,000 miles a year before I've bought them, so the idea that a 4 year old car wouldn't have done

40,000 miles simply didn't occur to me!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ta. Obviously that had eluded me.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

I should think that would have reduced the price to £2.50.

Only ever saw the tear-off slip,so didn't get a chance.

Reply to
Nick Dobb

LOL!

He didn't have the full logbook?