Price of bulbs

All the local B&Q's around me (Superstores) have cafes and also employ tradesmen to give advice on certain DIY aspects. In fact most of the dedicated aisles (Electrical, plumbing etc) have bells where if you push them it announces over the tannoy that assistance is required. I was told by B&Q employees that this was so you could call for the tradesmen to ask about specific things.

They also run "How to" sessions.

So I don't know where you got your information re not giving advice in case they get sued!!

Reply to
RedSky

The manager of the shop specifically told all his staff that no one was to give advice on electrical items, unless you think my wife is a liar.

The Cheltenham branch also don't run "How to" sessions, so yah boo sucks.

Reply to
Malc

I never said your wife was a liar. Merely pointing out that the branches out my way "Glasgow" still employ tradesmen and still give out advice.

I can see why branches might not give out advice on electrics since the recent regulation change but your initial post suggested that they don't give out advice full stop.

Haven't a clue what "yah boo sucks", I take it it's not complimentary?

Reply to
RedSky

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

I think this may be one of the many differences between B&Q and B&Q Depot. They're almost like different companies sometimes. For a start their pricing is very different, their colour schemes on quite a lot of their stuff is different, the whole feel of the place is different.

Reply to
Guy King

They don't round our way. There are some knowledgeable people employed but as far as I can make out there's only one bloke who knows anything, all the rest are employed as shelf fillers and if that one bloke is out then they're stuffed. The advice desk is staffed by school leavers whose job it is to summon said fount of all knowledge.

No it isn't ;-)

Reply to
Malc

For a horrible moment there, I thought you guys were referring to my favourite trim suppliers:

Please do try to be a bit more considerate to us old duffers, this is a car froup after all.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

words:

Yep, demonstrations and "experts" is one of the differences between normal B&Q's and Depots/Warehouses. The pricing is certainly different!

Reply to
Doctor D

In news:IaZZe.116224$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Malc scribed for want of a better word:

In Scotland, the B&Q advertise for employing Over 50's

Yes they do so long as you are time served in a trade, they then offer employment at minimum wage and require the time served idividual to offer trade advise to the punters So if you are not time served do not waste your time applying, and if you are time served be prepared to offer all your thityfive years skill out for £5 an hour whilst stocking shelves inbetween time, Oh and if anything happens then it is you not Management that gave the advice so take out personal insurance :-) Even the lowly gardener! assistant has to know all the latin names of the plants and how to keep them but he gets £5:10 ph not the basic £4:85 mw :-)

On topic the price of "Bulbs" Halfrauds £12:50 Dealershi* £8:47 plus VAT ebay £12 for ten That is for auto electrics bulbs Daffodil bulbs can be up to £390 each! I was driving around FIFE when I came across a little bungalow in the middle of nowhere with a sign saying "Daffodil bulbs" well I thought all these roundabouts are covered in daffodils so I would do the same in my garden I knocked on the door and the young lady said My husband is out just now but I can mobile him, Well how much are they for a sack or two, sorry sir they start at £185 each OMG I left embarrassed, I thought they were like the tatties you can buy at the roadside near farms lol :-)

Reply to
Domestos

Well it's his choice to work for that money or not.

Tell you what, why don't you go into a nice restaurant and moan about the prices, because you can get a nice steak from Sainsbury's at a fraction of the price that they'd charge for a cooked one on a plate, and that you've already bought a house with an oven pre-installed, and a set of matching crockery, so their cost is irrelevant, and see how far that gets you. Be sure to report back.

Reply to
AstraVanMan