Price of steel plate?

My van needs some welding for the MOT, so I called into the MOT station (who also do repairs) to ask them to sell me a few bits of steel for the plating. I was given a piece, approx 2 foot long by 5 inch wide, with an half inch angle on one side (ideal for sills apparently). For £5. I was rather taken aback, I was expecting a £1, maybe 2. He then told me a full length of it was £12ish, a sheet of approx 3 foot square is £15. Is that true? I havent bought sheet steel for many years, and back then it was dirt cheap - 'give us a couple of quid, and help yourself from that bin over there' woudl be a typical response.

I then rang up a dealer to get a ready made wheel arch - £30. I'm glad I'm doing it myslef, as it wouldnt be economical to pay someone if steel is so expensive. Ta Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I buy here - should give you a price guide:

Many local car spares shops sell sheet steel for the kind of repair you're doing so you might get a better price there.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It's been a few years now since I got any, but I used to find a "steel stockholder" in the Yellow pages, turn up, and they'd just give me a few offcuts (but plenty big enough for patching holes in British cars) for nothing.

Reply to
Ben C

A mate's car wasn't called the Hotpoint GT for nothing.

Mine are much higher tech, I use the casing off a scanning electron microscope that my workplace disposed of a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You know getting an old panel is cheaper from the scrap than buying new stuff.

Reply to
Rob

Get a bonnet from a scrappie.

Rob Graham