Problems with 1993 Peugeot 405 1.9stdt

Hi, I bought this car back in June, it drove nicely on a test drive around town and it had a brand new MOT. The first time i took it out on the motorway i discovered that it developed a humming/rumbling noise at over 40mph. It also very soon developed clutch judder and several other small problems which i have since sorted. I took it to a local mechanic and had =A3300 worth of work done, including a new clutch and o/s wheel bearing. A couple of weeks ago i had to have the drive shaft replaced..... It still rumbles at over

40mph. definitely sounds like a bearing, It doesn't seem to be coming from the n/s.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Best wishes Sapphire :)

Reply to
sapphire2803
40mph. definitely sounds like a bearing, It doesn't seem to be coming from the n/s.

sounds like a wheel bearing symptom, you don't say front or rear ? ive changed bearings in the past to find its the total opposite side or even rear when I thought it was a front, some bearing noises you have to unfortunaly let them get worse ( as long as you haven't got excessive play of course )before you pin them down.

Reply to
reg

os then lol?

--

40mph. definitely sounds like a bearing, It doesn't seem to be coming from the n/s.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Best wishes Sapphire :)

Reply to
Neil

Hi, I bought this car back in June, it drove nicely on a test drive around town and it had a brand new MOT. The first time i took it out on the motorway i discovered that it developed a humming/rumbling noise at over 40mph. It also very soon developed clutch judder and several other small problems which i have since sorted. I took it to a local mechanic and had =A3300 worth of work done, including a new clutch and o/s wheel bearing. A couple of weeks ago i had to have the drive shaft replaced..... It still rumbles at over

40mph. definitely sounds like a bearing, It doesn't seem to be coming from the n/s.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Best wishes Sapphire :)

Reply to
sapphire2803

If you still think its a bearing, there's an intermediate driveshaft bearing on most PSA (Peugeot & Citroen) cars of this generation. The bearing is housed in the lower engine mount bracket attatched to the engine, behind the sump or thereabouts.

I don't know how often they wear out, but it may get overlooked as a possibility.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Thanks, I'll check that out. :) Sorry I didn't mention front or rear did I? The 99% sure that the noise is at the front and I've already replaced the o/s wheel bearing.

Mind you, since I first posted here, the car has developed an intermittant whining noise which I would guess is a pump on the way out!

I just wish it would stop developing new faults before I've finished tracking down the old ones :(

The car is now known in our house as "The Lemon" :)

Best wishes Sapphire

Reply to
sapphire2803