Altenators

Took the remains of a suspension ladder in the front of the Focus yesterday

- middle of the M1 and it got spat out the back of a truck after falling off the one in front of that.

By some miracle it missed the radiator but got a direct hit on the alternator (how...??) and sliced the aux drivebelt.

Magneti Marelli are crap. The alu spar managed to punch off the rear cover, smash the coil wiring off the connector and wedge a bit in the brush housing. Limped home before the lights died.

Ford spoare dept, bless their cotton socks could do an alternator at 400 plus notes. No brush packs available full stop. Sod it. Everywhere else is outside of walking range so it's Phone-a-Freind or submit to the Leeds bus service. I chose P-a-F

Most places upon being told that I had Magneti Marelli either died laughing, commiserated with me for having such a lump fo junk or offered to sell me a brush pack and rectifier pack for something like £90.

Eventually found a place in Wakefield called Auto Generators. Twenty minutes work and he had the smashed brushes out and nice new ones in. Fiver. Excellent.

Also does a good line in remanufactured alternators on site and the trainees that he had all knew their stuff and seemed to be more than competent. Cheap prices as well. If you need anything like that round this way I'd recommend them.

Reply to
Chris Street

I fail to see how something can be 'crap' because it broke when something rather large and quite heavy hit it at high speed.

Reply to
SteveH

I didn't make it very clear and you are correct (although a Lucas design

*probably* would have survived). It's the way that the entire thing is assembled and the distinct lack of parts (and the price of those parts) that really got my goat.
Reply to
Chris Street

It's the modern way, innit?

Doesn't matter who made it, the parts supply is going to be the same.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from Chris Street contains these words:

That's scary. How much for really fancy bits?

Reply to
Guy King

I've never dared ask. They are quite reasonble for some things like cambelt and tensioner (£38) but silly for others, like £14 for the nut and retainer clip for the end of the handbrake cable. Yes, fourteen notes for an M8 nut and a bent tin clip.

Hate to think what something like a rack or driveshaft would be.

Reply to
Chris Street

I bought a Lucas brushpack and regulator for £13 when doing a mates Rover a fortnight ago though!

Reply to
Chris Street

*How* much? Had an alternator replaced on a BMW 525 at a main dealer, and it 'only' cost 200 quid. Plus labour, of course. ;-(
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DIY changing an alternator is easy enough on a BMW.

Reply to
dave

Not when the car has broken down on the way to work on a very busy main road, and the RAC has to tow it away. They wouldn't take it to my home unless I was accompanying it, but only to a garage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'll bear them in mind.

You could also try Aaron Auto Electrics on Tong Road at Wingate junction.

I wouldn't be surprised if your Magnetti Spaghetti alternator was originally made in Poland by Polmot.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^