Pug 306 TD, Electrics Fault, (Fuse 30), + Unresponsive

Hi,

I have a Pug 3061.9 TD (S -Reg) and have a couple of faults with it. Any tips or suggestions before I start falult finding would be most appreciated.

1) The car keeps blowing circuit fuse 30, which is for the elec mirrors,e-windows, rain sensor....glove box light + hazards. This in turn stops my indicators from working in any sense. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this. (Its blowing the rated 15A, I tried a 30A and it blows that too. From what I gather, it is fine when i stop the car, but the next time i come to start it, the fuse may or may not be blown. It appears not to blow the actual indicator curcuit suggesting its not a hazard fault, and also I have had the mirror switch in a variety of positions, and it still blows. Does anyone have any ideas? (Note: I don't think the startng process is blowing the fuse, since i can determine that its blown before firing the starter.

2) The cars appears to be unresponsive compared with my last pug 306 of the same spec. Ihe power delivery seems to be around 1 second behind in both accelleration and decelleration. ie, If I accellerate up too quickly and then hit the clutch, it revs up a little as thouth I haven't released the throttle (250-500) revs. I'm wondering whether clutch slippage could cause this?

Thankyou in advance for anyone who can offer any advice.

Reply to
Austin

Never put in a higher rated fuse as it can cause even bigger problems. The only way to find these kind of faults, is by isolating the concerned circuits. Normal way to do this is to unplug all the concerned devices, and try everything. If the fuse doesn't blow, you plug each device back in one at a time until you find what is blowing the fuse.

Something I noticed, all those items you said shouldn't be on the same fuse. The first four items are normally only live when the ignition is on, and the hazards should be live all the time (or do you mean indicators?)

Slipping clutch wouldn't cause that. Is the car the older TD or HDi? The HDi aren't quite as responsive as the TDs as they're fly by wire.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

& the electric windows pull more than 15Amps when they're working.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Austin ( snipped-for-privacy@bigfoot.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Could be an alarm fault? When you lock the car, the indicators come on, right? It's the only thing that's being triggered on that circuit while the car's out of use.

Reply to
Adrian

Pull back the rubber boot covering the wires going into the two front doors and check for damage.

John

Reply to
John

Update:

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Electrics: I have managed to narrow the fuse problem down to something in the drivers door. It only blows when i open the door with the key powering the car. Its probably a broken wire shorting with the body. The hazard switch is on the affected circuit which is why it affects the indicators.

Engine: I'm still not sure whats happening here. I think it may be a combination of clutch problems and a new throttle system. I had an N-reg and the throttle cable pulls a lever on what I think is the injector unit?. The s-reg has all this, but what also looks like a 5 inch hydraulic ram to slow it down on release, is this correct? The clutch is a little high on the bite, so I think it might need an adjustment to make sure it doesn't slip. I have the clutch noticed the pedal tends not to return fully to the top, but I have had this fault on both 306s, so its more likely a design fault here?

Many Thanks

Reply to
Austin