Fiesta - Crunch on Start

1997 Fiesta 1.2LX. For a while now intermittently, when engaging the starter motor, the engine doesn't start and a loud crunching noise comes from the engine.

To cut a long story short, starter motor was suspected so that was swapped, followed by ring gear and clutch.

But the crunching is still there. Does it even when starting the car with clutch depressed. Will start and run fine on second or third attemps. Will sometimes even start on first attempt.

Any ideas?

Cheers Paul, Wakefield

Reply to
Paul

if the new starter was used with a worn out ring gear you may need a new toothed bit on the starter.

Reply to
mrcheerful

This is my Mum's car but I am presuming the garage used all new parts - all the work (starter/ring gear/clutch) was all done at the same time.

Would you still suspect new toothed bit on the starter?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

your post read that the starter was fitted first, followed by ringgear/clutch, so there was a possibility that the starter was damaged by the old ring gear. however, if they are all matched and fitted at the same time then they should all be ok. since there is still a problem then obviously something is amiss. first thing I would check is that the starter is properly and squarely bolted on, likewise the gearbox. this is assuming that the noise is the starter operation and not something else entirely, as an example I was once asked to fix a car where the horn self sounded, it was actually the head gasket gone !! the high pressure blew past the rad cap making a horn sound, I have never seen it before or since !!

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yeah sorry about that - should have re-read before my initial posting.

The noise only occurs when starting the car, ie key in position 3 in ignition, and is intermittent. And my Mum having spent £350 on this problem for it still be be there is not best pleased!

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

How long ago was the work done? Did the noise start again immediately after the work was done? Have you taken it back to the garage? If "not long ago", "yes", and "no", take it back! :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot