Quick question about igniter units

Is an igniter unit the same thing as an ignition distributor?

--

07791363287
Reply to

Is an igniter unit the same thing as an ignition distributor? Or the same as an ECU? Thanks to anyone who can help.

--

07791363287
Reply to

The message from "Paul Coffee" contains these words:

No.

Reply to
Guy King

Just to expand slightly on Skipweasel's reply, the igniter unit does the job of the old-fashioned points, ie, to break the current flow in the ignition coil primary winding, therefore inducing a high voltage in the secondary that is then distributed (a hint there about what the distributor does) to the spark plugs.

The igniter unit is made up of a couple of transistors (or was on my old Rover 800 Sterling anyway - probably some sort of IC these days) that just do the switching electronically rather than the mechanical points. They cost pennies to produce and are then sold to the people held by the short and curlies for hundreds of pounds.

Mogweed.

Reply to
Mogweed

Older Electronic Ignition systems use a trigger (of which there are different types, but basically they replace the points in function) and an Ignition amplifier (igniter as some have it). Very basically his boosts the very small trigger signal to switch the coil.

Reply to
Kippers

Said "Mogweed":

I see, thanks for that. Your last sentence rings particularly true. The reason I ask is because I was recently quoted £350 by the Mazda dealer to replace the igniter unit on my 1992 323 3-door hatch. I've searched eBay, and left enquiries with a couple of parts websites, but nothing's turned up. I had wondered about just buying the part and trying to fit it myself to save *some* money, but do you know if it's particularly tricky to fit? I really don't want to pay £350 for it, but it seems like I don't have any alternative...

Reply to
Paul Coffee