quick response please tonight, question re water pump

We just noticed today that the alternator belt is really shreddred and in places is in separated strips.

My son really needs the use of the car this evening, so we are chancing that it is going to hang on.

The car is a 1994 Toyota Corolla, 1.3 GLI and it says a 4E FE type engine. It does 'not' have air conditioning. This alternator belt as well as being connected to the crankshaft pulley and the alternator is connected to something else which also has what look like water hoses coming out of it, so I'm guessing this might be the water pump; but being a novice I'm not really sure.

Would anyone know if it is the water pump, and if so; if the ignition light comes on indicating that the alternator belt has broken, could he drive any distance 'slowly' to say come home (about ten miles) if the water pump was now also disconnected?

Obviously he would have to carefully watch the water temperature guage. Or would this be unadvisable to even attempt to drive home. (part of our problem is our RAC membership has expired and being a bit short of money at the moment, I have not renewed it for this year).

So I told him if the belt breaks phone home, meanwhile I'll contact the 'Whizz Kids' on uk.rec.cars.maintenance and see what they say. So any prompt response about his chances would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
john martin

I wouldnt chance it,if the belt breaks & your driving at night with your lights on the battery would'nt last that long also it wouldnt take long for it to overheat from the water pump not working.

Reply to
reg

Nothing like looking after a vehicle to avoid problems eh?

Reply to
Three Quarters

Might be power steering pump if external, water pump usually bult into block and has fan on it.

Reply to
Blah

So that'll be another vehicle which never sees maintenance other than at the annual MOT then.

Oh dear.

It is.

and if so; if the ignition light

No.

Reply to
Conor

You'll be wanting to go & get him & give him a lift home. By th time you've sorted a warped head you'll be lucky to see chang out of £200.

Reply to
Duncan Wood