Quick T5 maintenance query

As I've said, my T5 has had a recent cambelt & tensioner change. I've just been reading on honestjohn about seizing waterpumps on TDI engines, leading to cambelt failure and subsequently a ruined engine.

This has got me just a little worried, as it's done 96k and has no record of the waterpump being replaced. Can anyone tell me if the T5 has a belt driven waterpump or is it off the crank?

Reply to
Stu

Its driven by the timing belt. Personnally I replaced the pump along with the belt, idler and tensioner at 70k on ours for piece of mind.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." wrote in news:ddgafe$sdr$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

Ah. Not sure what to do, now. I'd like a new pump for peace of mind, but wouldn't I have to use another new belt? It's only just been done and they are £40, the pump itself is only £24!

Bit of a dilemma. What's the belt replacement job like? Procedure look fairly straightforward in Autodata.

Reply to
Stu

Belt replacement is a notoriously painful job on transverse 5-pot engines :-(

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1h15i1b.1k69m5us0q4oyN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Well, I know that such has a Fiat Coupe needs engine removal to do the job. But in the big Volvo engine bay, it doesn't look too tightly shoehorned in. I wouldn't have thought access would be too bad with the NSF wheel removed.

According to the book, it takes 1.6 hours to do the job, so not too bad a job for someone competent. Personally, I'd be happy with twice that, but as long as it's not a complete nightmare, I'd be willing to have a go.

I wish I could just trust the waterpump and leave it alone. Under present circumstances, it will be many years before the belt itself is due another replacement. In fact, I'll probably have another car by then!

Reply to
Stu

Or the new Focus RS..... (or whatever it's going to be called)

Anything in that class is going to be a PITA with a 5 pot lump.

I can see that in a bloated barge like an S70 it will be a bit easier, though.

Reply to
SteveH

To be honest - doing a cambelt isn't a "have a go" kind of job, and I've never heard of a Volvo 5 cyl waterpump going.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not quite true - it is possible to do the Fiat Coupe, Marea and Bravo HGT

5-pot with the engine in situ if u have the right tools, it's just a bit of a bugger to do :)

Hellraiser............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

only on italian ones.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk:

Bad choice of words, but I do fell sufficiently competent to be able to do it. As for the waterpump, there seems to be a lot of scaremongering on the volvoclub forums.....

Reply to
Stu

Its simple enough job, just alittle time consuming- more so if your car has the hydraulic rather than spring loaded tensioner, which *must* not be rushed into the closed state. (at least 20mins).

The worse part of the water pump is scraping off the old gasket which invariably tears and sticks like glue to the block!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Well there is that - but from what I understand, it's not the most hellish job on an 850 / 70 series.

I have - but mainly TDIs.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

There does.

Which I bore in mind, when my S70 had it's second cambelt change (I had it done at 150k miles).

I mentioned my concerns to the Volvo independent I go to, they said they always check the tensioner and water pump, and if they feel any roughness, then they change them, but they don't necessarily do it pre-emptively. When they did the 150k change (10k early according to Volvo's schedule), they replaced the tensioner.

I'm currently at 185k miles on the original water pump, and it's not noisy. When the next cambelt change is due, I'll probably ask them to check it, and may decide to have it done then.

Reply to
Douglas Hall

"Douglas Hall" wrote in news:42fc86f7$0$13695$ snipped-for-privacy@reading.news.pipex.net:

Thanks, Douglas. The tensioner was changed with the belt. I'm sure the waterpump will have been checked as your garage does, so I expect it's still a good way away from failing. If it was rough, I'm sure it would have been changed as nothing else has been skimped on. With this I mind, I've decided to leave it alone. It's not as if I'm going to be adding significant mileage.

Reply to
Stu

My independant also does the tensioner regardless. Waterpump is original.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

yea me too It was a vw 5 pot tdi in a volvo

Reply to
jOn

Ahhh - a shining example of the extended longevity and reliability of diesel engines!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk:

I wonder why the diesel waterpump seems to be more prone to failure. Different part manufacturer? Different shape casting (i.e. more prone to clogging)?

Reply to
Stu

80ish k miles v reg
Reply to
jOn

Entirely different engine! the 5 cyl is a Volvo design, the old diesel is an Audi design.

-- re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Reply to
Tim S Kemp