RAC Maintenance Warranty ?

Just got a call from the RAC this afternoon offering me a warranty on my car for 19 pounds a month. Covers all the usual stuff apparently. Anyone had experience or any comments ?. Seems a reasonably decent deal to me ? (Details to follow in the post )

Graham

Reply to
Graham

The message from "Graham" contains these words:

Which in practice means nothing you're ever likely to claim on is covered.

Reply to
Guy King

If it's like any of the second-hand car warranties I've seen (sweeping generalisation cos I've only seen about 3) it won't cover half of the work required to fix summat or as Guy says won't cover whatever's gone wrong, probably because it counts as wear and tear. Effectively it is just an insurance policy. Does your car really require £240 worth of unexpected work per annum? You really will have to read the small print to see what's covered.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

Mine doesn't even require that much planned work, let along unexpected.

Reply to
Guy King

words:

True. I'm on 4 services a year because of mileage so that's about £80 worth of filters and oil and I'm having the cambelt changed a few K short of the recommended mileage because the nice Powergen people owe me about £100. Apart from that it's rare to change anything. I'm still on the same pads I had just after I bought the car 40K miles ago.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

The message from "Malc" contains these words:

Mine's not too bad to do at home.

Reply to
Guy King

There's a serious lack of space on the Xantia (esp with air con) and you need to remove an engine mount. I've got a little man who'll do it for £90ish so I CBA.

Reply to
Malc

You too.

I have just asked them to re-assess the £700+ bill they sent for the last quarter ..... for the second time!

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

Do you actually mean a maintenance warranty, or a breakdown one? Because the routine maintenance costs on any car are fairly easy to establish.

Non routing maintenance - things breaking - are a different matter. But any fixed price insurance has overheads so relies on your luck being poorer than average for you to make out of it. So if you're an always lucky gambler, go ahead. But better off just doing the lottery and using that money instead...

Clicked on the wrong button?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

And, of course, if you do the work yourself then it'd be even less likely to make financial sense.

Reply to
Guy King