Corolla with Green Flag or RAC/AA

Mechanical novice has 94 Corolla 1.3GL and last year I had vehicle cover with the AA.

With my current bank account now at the Co-op bank, if i upgrade the account and pay them another £43 extra a year, it gives me 'free' vehicle cover with Green Flag which includes both u.k. wide relay and 'home start' options.

To get cover with the RAC or AA that includes recovery but 'excludes' home start I will pay double that amount.

If you were in my shoes would you go for the less expensive 'Green Flag' option with the home start option included or choose the more expensive AA or RAC without the home start option? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
johngood_____

I would go green flag, they seem very good.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Generally, Green Flag provide more of a recovery service. If you need help with a puncture, run out of fuel, or the breakdown is such that only recovery will help, then they are fine.

For anything in between, the extra you would pay for AA/RAC cover could be money well spent. They are much more likely, though not obliged to, carry out minor repairs. They have access to a huge database of knowledge 24/7.

The AA has changed hands recently. It used to be that if you broke down after 11pm or before 6am you would get a contractor who would probably just recover you. Now, patrols go on-call through the night so you are more likely to get the fault fixed at the roadside.

In the final analysis, you generally only get what you pay for.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Have you tried the Toyota Club? £55 a year, I think it's the RAC that come out if you breakdown and I believe it's the same as the RAC's Option 3 or 4. One thing I should point out though and I'm not sure if this applies to all the recovery services, my car slid of the road about 2 years ago during the winter, only a very slight bash but I was stuck in a ditch, recovery arrived and it was a contractor but I had to pay £89 as he said they only provide recovery to your destination and they have to charge for pulling you out of a ditch or a field.

Redman

Reply to
Redman

I woudl go for the Homestart option wiht GF - I sue green flag via Tesco (£30) but without the Homestart - handy in the winter if your car doesnt start because of the cold and stuff I guess

That £43 extra you pay to the bank - does it get you anything extra accoutn wise or are they basically selling breakdown isnurance to you for 43quid direct

Reply to
mo

To be fair, it's a Corolla. I'd say even without mechanical knowledge I'd rather use green flag, get it recovered, and get a local handy-man to fix it in 5 minutes. Superb cars for what they are intended to do, I'd certainly not be punting money on the AA!

Reply to
r_trainer