CV Joint Torx Bolts

Have spent this afternoon struggling with the torx socket bolts on the CV joints on my 1978 Bay. I have a good quality torx bit but have stripped out the splined heads on the bolts.

I was lucky on the L/H as I managed to get out the gearbox side bolts and then simply whipped off the heads of the stripped bolts on the wheel side with my trusty angle grinder. Then pulled the drive shaft off the headless bolts. They were simply unwound by hand.

Unfortunately not so lucky R/H side as I stripped heads on both inner and outer CV joints. Which may preclude the grinder and pull off driveshaft method

Suggestions for tomorrow's joy at getting the little buggers out?

Reply to
sweller

One trick I use is to "drill" the recess with a small bit to get the dried mud and crap out. Then the torx bit will sink all the way in.

If you can't grind the head off, try a tiny pipe wrench. It's tedious but works on even very tight bolts. Also helpful is to strike the head with a cold chisel driven by a BFH.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I don't know anything about a bay, but are you sure they are regular 6 point torx? My bug has 12 point 'torx' - it isn't called torx, though - yours may be the same.

I also had to clean mine out really well to get a good grip. Tap it in with a hammer to seat it well.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

what about torching bolts first and then use impact gun?

Ant> sweller wrote:

Reply to
anton

Bay buses NEVER came with Torx head bolts. They are either 6 point Allen or Triple-square [12 point].

Torx is 6 point.

Karl

That's what I was thinking of: "triple square" but forgot the name. The box mine came in calls them "XZN" sockets.

Reply to
Remco

You need to get the proper 12-point tool. Autozone has them in a set of

4, or you can probably pick them up at sears as well.

All may not be lost, as it is important to use a small screwdriver to clean all of the road grime/dirt out of the heads of the bolts before trying to remove them. With the proper tool tapped full-depth into the bolt you may be able to get enough bite to remove the ones you think are stripped.

Good luck with it.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

This may explain a great deal ...

Reply to
sweller

Being in the UK we don't have those shops but we do have other tool suppliers, so a shopping expedition is in order this morning.

Thanks.

Reply to
sweller