Re: BMW 318 - rev - idle - rev - idle - rev - idle - rev

Don't know about BMW's but I've seen this happen on 2 other cars when the TPS is knackered.

A guy pulled in to let somebody out of the car & while they where saying > goodbye the engine was doing a constant rev/idle/rev/idle . > > There was a constant timed pattern to the rev/idle and it wasnt just a > guy revving the engine . > > Cause/solution ? .
Reply to
Steve B

I only have a passing knowledge - what is TPS ? .

Reply to
Spares Or Repair

Sounds like a vac pipe leak. Check all for cracks etc.

Reply to
biscuit

Throttle Position Sensor.

Reply to
John Laird

The message from Spares Or Repair contains these words:

Throttle Position Sensor.

Reply to
Guy King

check your temp sender, could be that the ECU is reading the engine being cold and this will allow more fuel (think of an automatic choke). the ECU will register the excess fuel and cut the RPM. then the ECU will read the faulty temp sender, blah, blah, blah

words:

Reply to
coistie