Re: Driving in Northern Ireland

Has anyone had any experience of driving around in northern Ireland in a car

> with a English style number plate? > > Im off to Dublin in a few days and plan to perhaps visit some friends up in > Belfast, im just wondering if I'd get any aggro with the car? > > Info Much Appreciated >

No problem at all, North or South. There are quite a lot of mainland-registered cars in NI (some are bought secondhand from the mainland), as well as from the ROI. No border control whatever. Saw a couple of British foot patrols in Co Tyrone, including one roadside check, but that's getting rare. They still have some 'control zone' near army bases and police stations (still heavily fortified), where you mustn't leave a car unattended, or will be treated as security risk. You are still aware, though, if you are in a Nationalist or Unionist area of town/village (posters, flags, graffiti etc). No aggro at all, but lots of friendliness towards English visitors.

Alec

Reply to
Alec

I don't know, perhaps you could ask 'Dee' who seems to have exactly the opposite question in another thread................

Reply to
Me

Hi Tom

That could have ruined ya day!, I wouldnt want to wash them stains out of my scanties.

That sort of thing makes you think a bit quick!

I was behind a police /prison van convoy one day when it stopped at the Woolwich ferry, I'm guessing they didn't like the look of something as the vehicle doors suddenly flew open and pieces of black metal appeared, 1 was pointed in my direction!!, they obviously saw me as part of the threat!!

MUMMY!!!

Reply to
Steve Sweet

This isn't the dark ages you know....! You'll be fine. Yes, there are trouble spots in Belfast where, statistically, you're more likely to get car-jacked, etc., but you get that anywhere in the entire world, and they don't do it on a number plate basis!!!

Watch out for the toll gate outside Drogheda however if you go that way. It only takes Euro.

Gary.

Reply to
Gary McClean