Re: Got the campervan 79 VW

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Ian Dalziel, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Conga-rats.

> I think it generally ok, as it recently passed the German MOT which >> is v high safety. >> >> Its aircooled, and having never had one before......can i leave the >> engine running while its stood? might sound a daft question. > You're thinking of motorbike engines - a VW engine has a sodding huge > cooling fan.

If my old 911 was anything to go by, aircooled motors tend to produce bugger all heat at tickover.

Reply to
Pete M

ah, never had a bike...

Guy on end of street had one and took a look, he says the fans keep it cool...i had read about overheating on these, and v v v expensive to fix, i have reciepts for complete new rebuild of engine 2 years ago at 2500 eu...

popped some fotos up, so take a look and all comments welcome...

Jules

Reply to
anne smith
1979 is the first year of them, so it's an early one.

ah ok...well i have ins from later this week, then 30 days to get it sorted for MOT etc. so i guess i need the door to work...bugger

Im looking at them now...thanks

BTW where are you?

Reply to
Jules

Absolutely. VW sold millions of air-cooled engines as stand-alone, stationary, industrial engines driving pumps and various other machinery in tropical deserts and polar regions alike. They were car engines with only slight modifications (like magnetos instead of distributors, crank handle starting dogs, and simplified exhausts).

A perfectly legitimate question.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

plus I believe, light aircraft applications.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yes. But there was the problem of taking the thrust from the prop elsewhere than on the thrust flanges of No.1 main bearing.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

thanks...a bit more reading online explained a few things....having water cooled for 20 years, and seeing heads blow due to bad water circualtion, i couldnt really work out how just air could cool metal...

Reply to
Jules

yes but light aircraft usually have lots of fast moving air around them....otherwise they tend not to fly :-)

Im learning bits as i go along...something new! :-)

Reply to
Jules

thanks. Yesterday me, a neighbour and his mate sat in the van with the engine running for a hour with the heater on while they were looking over the van, as he had one..he said they were a decent engine and i asked what the towbar could pull, esp as its only a 1.9 engine, but he said i would be surprised

He explained how it keeps cool.

He was a amazed how solid and origonal the metal was, and now looking at websites all neeeet, seeing where they rust and deteorate????

Got insurace for it, from A Flux, 240 quid unlimited milage, a valuve of

2000quid...

It seems there is a quirky following of people (nutters???) who love these campers, worship them and do them up and take them all over...

I spent over 10 years with old 70's Celica's which i got to know well and love...so im hoping i can find some local people and learnabout the engine, basic servicing etc etc. and the good and bad things about them

I have to drive to Milano in 3 months, then head up slowly to Germany, another Eurocruise!

Reply to
Jules

They also have pretty big cooling fans bolted to the front.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

ah yes....building lots of plastic kits i should have rememberd that!

Reply to
Jules

Friendly nutters forum here >

john 1974 Bay

Reply to
JohnB - UK

"JohnB - UK" wrote in

cheers. came accross it yesterday by accident!

Reply to
Jules

mansfield

Reply to
asahartz

yup i found that out, seen your posts yesterday on a forum...im still waiting for the final conformation so i can post...got some questions as you can imagine!

Reply to
Jules