Cambelt/tensioners,etc

So,

I keep the Escort for another year or so, at 7 years old 61k, time to change the cambelt?

A very good reputable independant garage has said £187 including vat for the belt and tensioners, but it's aftermarket.

Should I insist on Ford OEM? And what about idler pulley(s) it would be wise to replace the waterpump and any (not sure how many!) auxilliary drivebelts too? The car's not exactly an old 'un; if the cambelt looks okay can I just leave it until I sell it next September-ish? Timing belt's never been done as far as I'm aware, but if I don't have to spend £~250 done then I'd rather not obviously.

Cheers again.

Reply to
Robert

Depends on what engine, the Zetec-E has an interval of 100,000 miles or 10 years f'rinstance.

Reply to
Tony Bond

At =A3187, it should be a full kit including the pulleys. If you're going= =20 to keep it, changing the waterpump may be a good precautionary idea.

Saying that though, if you're only going to be doing another 10-15000=20 miles, I'd not bother as its well within its limit.

--=20 Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.

Reply to
Conor

Handbook does state that, the ford dealer said 5 years or 50k miles though, which is half the manual estimate.

Anybody else can confirm it's 100% okay to wait 10 years or 100,000 miles? Not looked at it yet, but I'm guessing it's just going to look like an intact belt, since the car's in pretty good condition, considering the 5 owners and partial s/h.

Reply to
Robert

5 owners and partial service history. It could also be well passed the 100k miles.

Charles

Reply to
Charles C.

Steering wheel and under the bonnet say 61k genuine miles, did a thorough check before I bought it, with a ford mechanic friend... Whcih is the main reason I'm beginning to htink I should just not bother with the belt change currently, as it's my last year of ownership before shipping myself to Japan.

Reply to
Robert

I had mine changed on my Mondeo at 100k, it was on it's original. My local indy charged £200-ish for belt kit (tensioner etc.), as well as a new water pump and a couple of pulley bolts, fitted. These engines don't have a reputation for the cam belts giving way early.

Reply to
Tony Bond