Re: OT: 1965 Halfords catalogue

Ahh, the joys of changing the 'points' and getting the gap correct. >

The prices for car radios are interesting, but they helpfully say that 'terms are available'.

Reply to
Andrew

The cheapest cost more than a week's gross wages for me at that time.

Reply to
Nightjar

In 1965, I worked 81 hours on a petrol station forecourt in one week, at

5 shillings an hour. I also sold a second hand car for them, earning myself an extra £2/10/00 commission. That was my best week's earnings until 1970.

That was from Jeff Allam's dad, for those who follow touring car racing.

Reply to
newshound

Quite. I remember my father treating himself to a radio for his company car. A Smiths RadioMobile - the first all in one valve unit. Cost over £20

- more than double the average weekly wage. Aerial extra = and maybe also the fitting kit. Mid '50s.

Other one I remember from those days - a 17" TV. 59 gns. So over 6 times the weekly average.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

17 inch? A monster, very posh.
Reply to
newshound

That's £2/10/- you heathen!

It's the tools. I still have a couple of them, and they work fine... and a radio for the price of a bike.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris