Re: OT MOT on cars

"James Wilkinson" wrote

> >> Of course. The owner voluntarily took that MOT. If he hadn't, he could >> have legally driven until the old one expired. Nothing has changed on the >> car. > > Using a motor vehicle in an unroadworthy condition is an offence. I suspect > the courts would not look favourably upon someone who did that knowingly > after an MoT failure.

Simply show the invoice for the part you've ordered, or ask the garage to. Not that I've ever been to court, but police have always acted with common sense instead of pedantically like everyone in this thread. Maybe pigs are human after all?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

PKB. You ignore everything I explain to you and just quote the unworkable law again. You're an idiot.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Yes and just carry on driving with faulty brakes while you wait for the parts.

'Hello is that Mr Wilkinson, this is the car factor place, we can't get your parts for three weeks. Mr W; 'Oh that's ok the MOT hasn't expired I'll just carry on driving it until they come in ...'

Not that I've ever been to court, but police have always acted with

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

It's not me who's driving around in an illegal and dangerous car. Who did you say was the idiot?

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

"James Wilkinson" wrote

So either use a garage which offers a courtesy car, or hire one - simples!

John.

Reply to
John T

"James Wilkinson" wrote

No copper would let you leave and drive a vehicle with significant safety issues. Sure you might get two weeks, not to do the repair, but to prove that you'd rectified a fault.

john.

Reply to
John T

"James Wilkinson" wrote

It doesn't but neither does it excuse you from driving a defective vehicle.

John.

Reply to
John T

So you always been a dependent leech?

Reply to
burfordTjustice

There are plenty of hitch hikers who I have picked up that greatly enhanced my life. Hitch Hikers and buskers are the stuff that GB is really made out of.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

I picked up hitch-hikers for a while, until one used the window to strike his match on, with which he lit his non-tobacco cigarette. Without asking.

Reply to
Davey

Did it mark the window?

I'd have stopped there and then and they'd have been O U T.

Reply to
JNugent

Yes and yes. And the mark came off with rubbing. But he was the last hitch-hiker I picked up.

Reply to
Davey

Well done.

Thank goodness.

They're not all as bad as that. You or I might need a lift in an emergecy!

Reply to
JNugent

So my point stands, getting a service along with your MOT doesn't help in this case.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

True. I do still try and assess a hitcher's' circumstance, and would pick one up if it was clear that he/she was in dire need of a lift, such as having a broken down vehicle.

The last time I needed one myself was in Iowa, and I got a lift from a family doing their annual Minnesota-to-Florida drive. The back seat was full of two children, very bored looking, and a mass of toys and games. And me, for a while.

Reply to
Davey

What is "significant safety issues" in English?

I've certainly driven off and been given two weeks to fix THREE bald tyres a missing exhaust and a defective handbrake.

I've also been allowed (after persuasion) to drive off with a bent axle as I told them it was actually getting another within a few days from the scrapyard which was visible from the spot check point!

Reply to
James Wilkinson

What a palava. Hiring a car is expensive and inconvenient. And a courtesy car can't be given to every single customer.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

You, for obeying the law like a sheep.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Of course. After all, if I'd waited until the last minute to get the MOT, I wouldn't have known about the defect. I've not made the car worse by having the test.

And as I keep telling you , how would the DVLA possibly know the garage has examined the car? The mechanic will just look through a list of requirements to pass and check everything, then tell you what will need doing to pass the MOT. He's not going to touch the MOT computer until he wants to pass it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I know of one case where a driver picked up a hitch-hiker. The driver fell asleep at the wheel and had the hitch-hiker not been in the car to wake the driver up he may well have been killed.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop