Rear wheel smoking hot

I had a fail on the mot for handbrake performance on my Rover 220 with rear disk brakes, I cleaned and freed of the mechanisms on the rear callipers and fitted new pads all round, it passed the mot when returned without a problem. Now the rear offside wheel is really hot and smoking from the brake calliper, I have jacked the wheel up and it is not binding or seized, is it just needing running in ? I have done less than 100mls since fitting the pads and it was normal driving gentle on the brakes.

Reply to
powerstation

Something must be dragging or it wouldn't get really hot. No it doesn't need just running in, you've got a fairly serious problem there. You did take the handbrake off when you drove around didn't you? I do know someone who didn't and she ended up having a new drum fitted [1]. Take the wheel off and have a proper look.

[1] I reckon the garage saw her coming as she had no knowledge of cars at all.
Reply to
Malc

SNIP>

My next door neighbour did that with her Citroen BX (front wheel handbrake) and when she got home there was smoke pouring out of the front O/S wheelarch, so she called the fire brigade. First we knew was when the blue lights arrived at 0130, by which time there was nothing to see. Next day the wheel trim fell off because the lugs had melted.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Somethings sticking. Try stamping on the brake hard with the engine running, then check if it releases immediatly, if not then you've got a faulty caliper or a faulty flexible hose.

Reply to
Duncanwood

No. Smoking is bad. Are you testing it for binding whilst it is still hot?

Reply to
Conor